BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to mount my XM antenna somewhere on my GT. Everywhere I would hold it looked like s**t. Then I looked at the windshield area and this is what I settled on.

3 1/8" Hole

The antenna actually snaps in the hole

A bead of automotive black silicone. Hot glue might work better but wanted to try this first

I needed my helper to get this done

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice work. Is reception ok at that angle? You can always paint it matt black to stealth it out!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well thought out, looks like it belongs there...hope it works out as intended...let us know if there is any whistle or change in the air that is channeled through there...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hermes said:
Nice work. Is reception ok at that angle? You can always paint it matt black to stealth it out!
I don't think the angle will affect it. I tried it at different angles on my trucks dash for a few days and it was fine.
It will be awhile before I can ride but will post the results.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
odsmissmaggie said:
Well thought out, looks like it belongs there...hope it works out as intended...let us know if there is any whistle or change in the air that is channeled through there...
Will do. It will be awhile before weather will let me go for a test ride but will post the results.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Grif. It was a fun little project. Will painting it hinder the reception. Now all I need is to find a unit to plug into my Zumo 550 to bluetooth to my Nolan helmet. The Zumo will bluetooth MP3's but not XM. Any ideas.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Great installation, what did you use to cut the hole. Holesaw? Looks to smooth for a Jigsaw. :clap:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2008-K1200GT said:
Great installation, what did you use to cut the hole. Holesaw? Looks to smooth for a Jigsaw. :clap:
I used a 3" holesaw then sanded the hole for the fit.

·
Capn' Blowhard
333 Posts
Very slick! :clap:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Fergie said:
Thanks Grif. It was a fun little project. Will painting it hinder the reception. Now all I need is to find a unit to plug into my Zumo 550 to bluetooth to my Nolan helmet. The Zumo will bluetooth MP3's but not XM. Any ideas.
Try the Wirevo D1000. it sends BT from Zumo to wireless headsets. Great success for me. The boosted stereo is much better than the mono.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lhendrick said:
Try the Wirevo D1000. it sends BT from Zumo to wireless headsets. Great success for me. The boosted stereo is much better than the mono.
Thanks lhendrick, where is the best place to get that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
lhendrick said:
Can you recommend a bluetooth headset that fits in the helmet? Would love to BT my Zumo 450 and get rid of the wires. If I could mount speaker in the helmet and dangle a small charging cable I'd be super happy with that setup.

Is there a headset that has 2 channels? One for the dongle and another to connect to my phone? Then I could have tunes and the phone and not have to buy a Zumo 550! I'm crawling acrss webBikeWorld now but it's slow going. Appreciate the help.

Update

Looks like the Camo BTS-300 and WiRevo D1000 would accomplish what I want. I think.

The D1000 adds BT capability to my Zumo 450 and the BTS-300 allows 3 channels for tunes, intercom and phone. Reading the reviews now, anyone have a similar setup?

Moderator - sorry for the thread hijack, feel free to move this if need be.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
iflybricks, does the 450 have XM and if it does do you have XM.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice clean install. :clap:

Please report back if you notice any air flow issues. I have mine mounted on greater angle than yours, so I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems with reception.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts