BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the postings here, and on the prior site, for several years but decided that now was the time for my first original post.

My love and I came to this sport 5 years and about 15,000 miles ago. As a girl she had ridden dirt bikes with her brothers on the farm. But my parents were set against bikes. That carried on for many years until I surprised her with a HD Sportster for Christmas one year and I bought a used Honda Rebel for myself. I had no idea what I was buying other than it was the smallest HD that looked like a HD.

The Sportster did not work out very well but it did lead to another bike, which lead to another until she was on her Beloved Heritage Softtail Classic and I had a K1200RS.

I had wanted to get her onto a bike with ABS. But while her legs reach all the way to the ground when she is walking, they don’t when she is sitting on many BMW’s. We did find an R1100S, the Red Rocket that was low enough to the ground and light enough to stand up. She had the Red Rocket as second bike for shorter rides. But the seating position was too aggressive for her to be comfortable for a longer ride.

When the GT was on the horizon, it looked shorter and narrow so we decided that we would order one under the theory that “one of us would like it.” We did order the short seat when we ordered the bike. The seat came a couple of weeks before the bike so she was ready.

We went to see that actual bike two weeks ago on Saturday. We were not sure if we would trade in my K1200RS or her R1100S. That would determine whose name would go on the title. On that fateful Saturday, my love decided that she would trade in the Red Rocket – which was OK since I was not comfortable giving up a bike that I knew I liked, for one that I might like. So her name went on the title, the low seat went on the K1200GT, and she rode it home.

By the time she got home, the seat did not fit her posterior. So with an extra full height seat that one of us could use on the bike, we peeled the cover off the seat and started out to reshape the seat with an electric knife. The knife was hard to control so we sketched a outline we thought would work on the side of the seat and put the seat on my radial arm saw. Following the sketch with the radial arm saw worked great. We then followed up with some very rough sand paper. The result is that we took 3 inches off of a measurement from one peg over the top to the other peg. And now she has a comfortable seat.

Seat before

Seat After

The result is that at 5’ 3” with a 28” inseam she likes the bike. This is what some RT riders call “the pull of the dark side of the force.”

My love has let me ride it twice now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congratulations for a new GT! It looks nice. She looks happy.
Thank you for posting this. This is encouraging to me. I am short 5'6'' and has short inseam. I am drooling over BMWs but most of them are tall. I may start to think about geeting one seriously.

HK

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Hell, if I even thought of letting my wife take the GT, I'd have to go buy another one for me to ride. I'm trying to keep her as far away from the GT as possible, but after this last trip to NM, she's itching for a new bike.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
omsbitaro said:
Congratulations for a new GT! It looks nice. She looks happy.
Thank you for posting this. This is encouraging to me. I am short 5'6'' and has short inseam. I am drooling over BMWs but most of them are tall. I may start to think about geeting one seriously.

HK
Fear not, I'm 5'8", 29-30" inseam and I'm on it with the regular seat in the low with no problems, other than the pain I expect to get on my first 500 mile day.

·
133 Posts
Im 5' 6" and have a bike on order.

I ordered mine with the low seat option. I have sat on the bike and shold be able to flat feet with the low seat.

BMW just needs to ship my bike. Was suppouse to go into production 05/18. I guess I shouldn't of passed on the Crystal Grey.

Oh well, I will have to just keep riding my RS.

Retroboy.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Thanks for bumping the thread. One thing that I forgot to post was that on my first day ride my knees were getting stiff so on my subsequent 300 mile jaunt, after seeing tall guys saying the liked it better with the seat down, I raised mine. I think it helped, but I'm not sure. I'm going to go back out with it down and see if there is a difference. I also dropped teh handlebars a notch to see what would happen.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Phil
Are BOTH your HEELS on the ground with a 30" inseam on the GT?

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Deerhead said:
Phil
Are BOTH your HEELS on the ground with a 30" inseam on the GT?
I'm closer to a 29" and I have to say, "hell no", maybe one and toes or ball of the foot on the other. The only time I could ever do that was maybe on my first R65. From my K75, R100, all the RT's, F650GS etc., they never have, but just like riding a GS, I never really need both feet heel down. I always try to control how I stop and always do the strong side stop with my left foot on the ground right foot on the rear brake unless the road or shoulder is canted the other way, then I compensate in the other direction and use the hand brake.

I did 300 miles with the seat on high on Saturday as a test and never had a problem starting or stopping or when doing U turns on gravel roads. Hell, I don't put my feet down anyway accept to stop and prefer the bike to go a bit farther over to be more stable rather than "teeter" in the middle. This is just my style and has worked for me through all my short years. Never dropped a bike ever while stopped or standing. The only times I have dropped a bike were at a speed where your foot would have done nothing but get hurt under a 600 lbs bike.

My wife is 5' 3" and rides an '04 RT.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Phil
I am not as good as you. All my bikes have one thing in common, I can have both heels on the ground a the same time. That's why I bought an RS vs a GT because I could heel the ground. I'll have to pass on the new GT unless there is a proper LD low seat available.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Deerhead said:
Phil
I am not as good as you. All my bikes have one thing in common, I can have both heels on the ground a the same time. That's why I bought an RS vs a GT because I could heel the ground. I'll have to pass on the new GT unless there is a proper LD low seat available.
I might buy one, and if I do, I will let you know, but as short as I am, I have never been able to survive on a BMW low seat, they can kill you after a day in the saddle.

My most comfortable seat on my RT is a Cee Baileys and it's higher than the comfort seat.

I'm not good, I'm just short and it's what I had to do in order to ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After we modified the low seat my wife has about 1/2 inch under her heels when she is wearing a Sidi with a rather high heel. The photo in the original post was taken with the same gap on under both heels.

You are right about the comfort of the low seat. The low seat is very similar to the standard seat except for the shape of the top. The standard seat has a slight dome to the top and the low seat is very flat. I don't really understand why BMW calls it a low seat. It still has a lot of foam on the top of the seat pan.

It was very uncomfortable for both of us. I am 6' with a 32" inseam. That is why we had nothing to loose when we started to cut it up.

The seat has been much more comfortable for her after we reshaped the top.

It works for her. The only problem she has is when the bike is parked on a slope with the side stand on the low side. She cannot really stand it up. So, I need to help her.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
And, as I found out from the posts from the tall guys, it's not just touching the ground. As you get old, the knees can be a PIA, and I have to say that was much better with the seat on high.

Wifey has a Rich's custom seat. He cut out parts of the BMW pan and completely built it out from scratch, but I must say that it's not a man's seat. A buddy of mine sat in it and his exact words were "There's no room for my man junk". Needless to say, she loves the seat.

·
Registered
1976 R75/6-1983 R80RT-1986 R80RT-1990 K1 ABS-2009 K1300GT
19 Posts
I have been reading the postings here, and on the prior site, for several years but decided that now was the time for my first original post.

My love and I came to this sport 5 years and about 15,000 miles ago. As a girl she had ridden dirt bikes with her brothers on the farm. But my parents were set against bikes. That carried on for many years until I surprised her with a HD Sportster for Christmas one year and I bought a used Honda Rebel for myself. I had no idea what I was buying other than it was the smallest HD that looked like a HD.

The Sportster did not work out very well but it did lead to another bike, which lead to another until she was on her Beloved Heritage Softtail Classic and I had a K1200RS.

I had wanted to get her onto a bike with ABS. But while her legs reach all the way to the ground when she is walking, they don’t when she is sitting on many BMW’s. We did find an R1100S, the Red Rocket that was low enough to the ground and light enough to stand up. She had the Red Rocket as second bike for shorter rides. But the seating position was too aggressive for her to be comfortable for a longer ride.

When the GT was on the horizon, it looked shorter and narrow so we decided that we would order one under the theory that “one of us would like it.” We did order the short seat when we ordered the bike. The seat came a couple of weeks before the bike so she was ready.

We went to see that actual bike two weeks ago on Saturday. We were not sure if we would trade in my K1200RS or her R1100S. That would determine whose name would go on the title. On that fateful Saturday, my love decided that she would trade in the Red Rocket – which was OK since I was not comfortable giving up a bike that I knew I liked, for one that I might like. So her name went on the title, the low seat went on the K1200GT, and she rode it home.

By the time she got home, the seat did not fit her posterior. So with an extra full height seat that one of us could use on the bike, we peeled the cover off the seat and started out to reshape the seat with an electric knife. The knife was hard to control so we sketched a outline we thought would work on the side of the seat and put the seat on my radial arm saw. Following the sketch with the radial arm saw worked great. We then followed up with some very rough sand paper. The result is that we took 3 inches off of a measurement from one peg over the top to the other peg. And now she has a comfortable seat.

Seat before

Seat After

The result is that at 5’ 3” with a 28” inseam she likes the bike. This is what some RT riders call “the pull of the dark side of the force.”

My love has let me ride it twice now.
Ha yes! Me too. Could not touch my toes to the ground. I also did the get jiggy wit it slice and dice thang. I am 5' 4" Had a HIGH Russell Day-Long when purchased.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts