BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a mint 2001 K1200RS in pacific blue. I always wanted a flat 4 BMW. I've been riding for 23 years, and this thing has to be one of the best all-around motorcycles I've owned.

I sold my last beloved beast, a 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in order to try something different. Plus the Tiger was a wee bit tall for my liking.

I picked it up with 19036 KM (11828 miles)

It came with a bunch of MSRP Options:
Colour matched hard bags
Semi-integral ABS
Heated Grips
Sport Suspension
Luggage Grid
Luggage Brackets
Large Rear Wheel (180)

I wish it had cruise control! I guess that was an option in 2002. I suppose a throttle meister will do!

Looking forward to actually using this thing.

It had two previous owners, though technically it only really had one. The first owner traded it in at 19036 KM (just prior to the big service). The second owner bought it and never picked it up!! Apparently the rich bugger's son didn't want it, so there it sat! After three years, the dealership sold it to me. Owner number three. :)

I asked if it had any repairs or recalls, outside of normal maintenance. They said no. I specically asked about leaky seals, ABS servo motor issues, etc. They said no.

I certainly looks clean.

Yes, the picture quality sucks (my Blackberry Bold's camera SUCKS)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh... and they gave it the FULL 20,000 KM service, all fluids drained, etc.

They also put on brand new Perelli Corsa rubber and a new windscreen.

This thing is ready to roll. Now I have to find insurance that won`t rape me. :boom:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kurgan said:
Oh... and they gave it the FULL 20,000 KM service, all fluids drained, etc.

They also put on brand new Perelli Corsa rubber and a new windscreen.

This thing is ready to roll. Now I have to find insurance that won`t rape me. :boom:
When I had my 03 K12RS, I don't remember the insurance rates being all that bad and not muh higher than what I am now paying to cover my R12GS. But when I was trying to sell the KRS three years ago, I had one deal go bad because the Canadian buyer got an obscene quote from his insurance company.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Congrats on the bike! I had an '03 and loved it. I still think it's the swoopiest, most beautiful bike BMW ever made. Was your Triumph taller than the RS? I think of the Beemers as kind of tall bikes themselves. But anyway... it's a great bike and you'll love it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
An 8 year bike with less than 12K miles = Creme Puff. Sweeeeeet! Enjoy your new ride. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chuckwilmot said:
Congrats on the bike! I had an '03 and loved it. I still think it's the swoopiest, most beautiful bike BMW ever made. Was your Triumph taller than the RS? I think of the Beemers as kind of tall bikes themselves. But anyway... it's a great bike and you'll love it.
I am 5' 11" tall and I could only get the balls of my feet on the ground with the seat on the lowest setting.

On the BMW, I can completely flat foot it, and there's ample bend in my knees.

The BMW fits me much better, though ergos are a bit more extreme!

However, time will tell if it matches up to my 2005 Tiger -- another awesome all-around motorcycle with a nice torquey three cylinder motor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
keithb said:
An 8 year bike with less than 12K miles = Creme Puff. Sweeeeeet! Enjoy your new ride. :D
That's a relief to hear as I wasn't sure what was considered "high mileage" on these flat four K bikes. After a bit of research I am now comfortable knowing that I can potentially never wear out the motor! :clap:

·
Registered
230 Posts
"After a bit of research I am now comfortable knowing that I can potentially never wear out the motor!"

I don't know how old you are but this bike could easily be the last bike you buy in your lifetime. One of my best friends has over 300K miles on a 1985 K100. The "brick" engine is a wonderful motor. :teeth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts