BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all,

It's a Sad Day, as I have just received notice that my Transmission was Stolen in Clearwater, Florida, USA. How can this be, in this day and age with GPS locators in delivery trucks?

This past February I lost 4th gear on my 2008 K1200S, with 30K on the clock. It happens, as we all know that the builder of these cassettes does not underscore the shafts per BMW's specs to the manufacturer. As these transmissions are in several other manufacturers motorcycles we do have a purported excellent and capable individual overhauling these cassettes to better than factory condition in Clearwater, Florida.

Unfortunately, DHL never delivered it to him. They did send me confirmation that on February 22nd, it was a confirmed delivery.....but to a fictitious person at an unknown address that they can no longer remember ( As of March 2nd) where they delivered it to in Clearwater, Florida.

Largo, Fla., (where the DHL station is located) is less than 10 miles away, but they refused to dispatch the driver, retrieve the package and send it to the transmission shop.

In the preceding months, after contacting Mark (The owner of R&D who was kind enough to check with his neighboring businesses), The Pinellas County Sheriffs Department, and making multiple inquires to businesses and friends....... The Transmission has been stolen and may be overhauled elsewhere and may be attempted to be re-sold on E-bay or another Commercial Media. Please keep an eye out, as I will try to re post this to as many sources as possible.

As I use to live in St. Petersburg, Clearwater, and Clearwater Beach, it's truly sad and criminal that a man or men would sign for a package, believe it was coming all the way from Thailand and that no one would miss it and or investigate its disappearance......

If any of my fellow riders are in Clearwater, and know Hercules Avenue and the shops that maybe a salvage business, please send me a P.M., if its not too much trouble.

I'll file an official complaint with the Sheriffs department when I come back to the states this fall, as I doubt DHL will spring the 5k for a new replacement transmission.

The following are pictures of the crate, the transmission cassette, and the Serial Number of the Transmission..... As this Shipment went from the Thai Post to EMS, and Then to DHL, I will put a claim in, but one can only guess when it will be consummated. if ever....... Thanks for your attention and compassion
Motor vehicle Wood Font Automotive design Shipping box
Scientific instrument Gas Machine Engineering Auto part

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,200 Posts
This sucks. There is an almost new transmission for sale on this forum in the scrapping of a K bike thread that is going on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This sucks. There is an almost new transmission for sale on this forum in the scrapping of a K bike thread that is going on.
True Beech,

The Planet has moved on..... A blown 4th gear and and although some of us may be handy at NDT inspection, and some even with a Tig or mig welder, as well as the appropriate machine shop tools..... I'm befuddled that someone stole my transmission in an industrial park in Clearwater FLA.

Buying a new transmission only to have another gear blow is counter productive. Shipping another used one across the Country, and then back to Thailand and hoping it makes it through the fiasco of Shipping Companies and duties\taxes is also counter productive.

Its just so sad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark @ R&D does amazing work.He did mine on the 06. Mabe he can find you another Transmission?

Did you get shipping insurance?
So I have heard nothing but great things about Mark! He was very helpful and even worked with the Sheriffs office and checked around the community for me! Thanks Mark!

Shipping Insurance is from Thai Post, which then went to EMS, which then went to DHL......... The transmission was worthless, broken. So imagine everyone's amazement when I put in a claim for a new (replacement value) transmission! lol.

As far as Cores..... That has to be bought and sent to Mark. Unless I'm going to spend more time, effort and money...... I'll just find a used one here, and wait till I blow another gear and have to carry 20 Kilos of weight in my luggage back home on the next trip.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts