BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just about finished rehabilitating my 1985 K100RT. (my first K bike)

After much cleaning and painting, replacing most of the output shaft and clutch carrier, a bit more cleaning and then replacing about 80 or so different parts my K is almost done.
I have been working on it since the end of January
These bikes are really fun to work on and, with the exception of the rear shock, I did not spend more than $250 on any single part.
I have only put about 150 miles on it. (It came with about 46,000 on it)
Overall, (except the handlebar buzz at high rpm) this bike is smooth and pulls like a train at any rpm or gear. Both my wife and I agree that the BMW pulls harder and is much smoother than the old KZ1000 that I had years ago.

I was warned about the heat produced by these bikes but I was suprised at just how intense it was. While waiting for better gear to arrive, I have been riding in jeans and they were almost not enough. Wow.

Today the postman brought me a fuel tank to frame gasket that I found on ebay.
I installed this missing gasket and also added a bit of pipe insulation into the gap on each side between the tank and the air cleaner box. (from the back of the air box forward to the side fairing)
I had already replaced the stock fairing gaskets and even a few missing plastic pieces.

I also filled the handlebar with lead shot. After trying every gun shop in town I finally found what I needed at the local dive shop. (weight belt bags, go figure) I used about 2.25lbs

I then took my K out for a brisk run.
Wow what a difference.
With the addition of todays gaskets the heat was reduced by half or more. If I rode without gear I believe I could now ride with long shorts.

The biggest difference was the handlebar feel.
With the addition of the lead I can now comfortably play with the upper rpm range.
Between 4,500 and 6,000rpm this thing is intense.

I am really going to enjoy this bike.
Many thanks to all the folks who have shared their knowlege on this forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's absolutely awesome! Several people have suggested the lead shot and I really need to do that myself. Fortunately, I used to reload shot shells and have about 50 pounds of the stuff LOL. Getting mine back on the road was a little more expensive since I had to replace the fuel pump. Hopefully, you've been able to buy parts that were in stock. My local dealer didn't have a lot of what I've needed and even A&S had to get a few from the distributor. It's all good, since I'm down to the cosmetic stuff anyway....make a to-do list and work on the bike when the parts get here. I haven't ridden a faired K much, but my basic 85 is hot enough, especially at a red light in Tucson during the summer!

Enjoy your bike, they truly are great! I'd love to get another one, but I really want another R65 real bad.

Phil

·
Registered
41 Posts
Techer, funny I just read your post. I have spent the last three months rebuilding my newest member a 89 K 100RS SE. Had it stripped to the frame almost, spline lube, awaiting parts for the water/oil pump rebuild. Fun to tear apart and put back together. Have a buddy who rebuilt his 63 Vette doing my body work, should look nice when he is done, real quality. I have not ridden it at all, moved it from neighbors garage to mine in pouring Oregon rain and then started stripping. Really want to change out handlebars for k 75 C, but they are hard to find..... Oh well, never a dull moment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts