BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a bit frustrated…

So I’m on the road yesterday, and as I’m sitting at a light in a small town, my red master warning comes on with an associated “brake failure” light. Now I’m thinking to myself, I kind of like having brakes, it makes for a much better and lower stress riding experience, so this got my attention. (some of you may remember I’ve had issues with nuisance warnings on this bike before, but this one seemed a little more important.

So I turned off the bike and back on, message gone. Kewl! A mile or so down the road, and its back! I pulled off onto a side street and start seeing if it is more than a message. Of course, it is! The front doesn’t seem to take any more effort, but the rear takes a lot more effort, and if I try, I can lock up the back. I’m pretty comfortable with that, since it means I got great stopping power, but no servo assist, and no anti-lock. I’m fine with both of those, so I kept riding. I’ve got a few hundred miles on it since and it is still consistent. It resets when I turn off the bike, but I don’t’ count on it going too far with out the warning again.

I got my handy-dandy GS-911 out and pulled the code off the abs unit:
25072: Faulty ADC value of rear speed sensor it tells me.

I haven’t disturbed anything there, and I ran a quick visual check of the wires, and didn’t see anything.

Great, so after a few issues, including being towed to a dealer and another costing me some serious dollars due to the ignorance surrounding this bike, and most recently, a new clutch and throw-out bearing. (The board was down, so I haven’t posted that little story yet.)

Now this!!!?!?!?

I’m really starting to wonder if I want to keep this bike. Riding it is awesome, but owning it and being unable to enjoy it is not high on my list of fun things!!!

I’ll let Y’all know what ends up happening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
ABS failure

If I remember correctly, one of the first recalls my dealer told me of, was relocating the wire from the front ABS sensor, as it was routed incorrectly on some bikes, and breaking under stress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
I’m really starting to wonder if I want to keep this bike. Riding it is awesome, but owning it and being unable to enjoy it is not high on my list of fun things!!!
I’ll let Y’all know what ends up happening.
Richard, if it weren't for bad luck ... maybe yours just has slightly off center Karma :wtf

When my dealer finally got the word on how to do the software updates, the bike has been flawless for me - oh, yeah, that's a big help ain't it :D

Seriously though, this should be warranty work yes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ChrisOlson said:
Seriously though, this should be warranty work yes?
Yes, it will be warranty, but no bike is no bike, even if I dont' have to pay for it out of pocket...

I'm pretty sure it isn't Karma related, since I'm such an Angel, but not so much luck either. I've backed off the milage I'm putting on it, but it still has almost 30K on it. I'm concerned about my cross country trip this summer and the desert crossings to Utah.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
I'm pretty sure it isn't Karma related, since I'm such an Angel....
oh yeah ... :hysterica

I'm concerned about my cross country trip this summer and the desert crossings to Utah.
Just put gas in it and ride it ... 'specially to Utah as there will most likely be several 10's of misguided individuals who would assist your karma deficient a$$ if required ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Abs

BeniciaRT said:
Just a bit frustrated…

So I’m on the road yesterday, and as I’m sitting at a light in a small town, my red master warning comes on with an associated “brake failure” light. Now I’m thinking to myself, I kind of like having brakes, it makes for a much better and lower stress riding experience, so this got my attention. (some of you may remember I’ve had issues with nuisance warnings on this bike before, but this one seemed a little more important.

So I turned off the bike and back on, message gone. Kewl! A mile or so down the road, and its back! I pulled off onto a side street and start seeing if it is more than a message. Of course, it is! The front doesn’t seem to take any more effort, but the rear takes a lot more effort, and if I try, I can lock up the back. I’m pretty comfortable with that, since it means I got great stopping power, but no servo assist, and no anti-lock. I’m fine with both of those, so I kept riding. I’ve got a few hundred miles on it since and it is still consistent. It resets when I turn off the bike, but I don’t’ count on it going too far with out the warning again.

I got my handy-dandy GS-911 out and pulled the code off the abs unit:
25072: Faulty ADC value of rear speed sensor it tells me.

I haven’t disturbed anything there, and I ran a quick visual check of the wires, and didn’t see anything.

Great, so after a few issues, including being towed to a dealer and another costing me some serious dollars due to the ignorance surrounding this bike, and most recently, a new clutch and throw-out bearing. (The board was down, so I haven’t posted that little story yet.)

Now this!!!?!?!?

I’m really starting to wonder if I want to keep this bike. Riding it is awesome, but owning it and being unable to enjoy it is not high on my list of fun things!!!

I’ll let Y’all know what ends up happening.
I would check the wire from the senser to where it plugs in to the main harness. unplug it and see if it is dirty or corroded. DO NOT TURN THE KEY ON WITH THE WIRE UNPLUGGED.
also look at the senser and see if it looks OK. Been damaged by a tire change??
H
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Not exactly what you were seeking, but I gotta ask: the GS-911 works on the GT, not just the GSs??? Where do you connect it? Hmmm, if it works I may have to buy one now cuz it will work with both my BMWs.
Anyway, you need a 2nd bike so when the GTs feeling bad, you can ride the other. Again, sorry no help here. That recall sounds promising though. OH, and tell the stealer what the 911 error code is so they have the stuff ready when you come in.
Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Sorry to hear it Richard. Your GT sounds like my first BMW bike. I was having issues everywhere. Virtually every trip away from home had something fail. I knew it wasn't the norm for single BMW bikes to have that many problems and I didn't even have a first year model bike where you expect the usual extra gremlins.

I gave up and traded it in when my warranty was close to being up. I simply wanted something I could enjoy on those extended trips and not worry about what was going to fail next and was it going to get me hurt.

Obviously you'd take a huge hit on depreciation if you did sell it, but there's always the upside. If you replaced it with another GT there'd be no servo brakes and a few new goodies that weren't available to you when you purchased like the TPM and the xenon headlight. I know you won't have any use for the traction control. :teeth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Same issue here

Just got back from a 7000klm trip. Made it home with no issues, (this frigging seat sucks by the way) went to take the bike to work the next day and she lit up like an x-mas tree 2 klm from home. No sevo assist to help stop the bike.
As I drove her to work..(because I had to be a work) the problem would come and go. When I got home I call roadside assistance and they toed her to my dealership 200klm away with no issue or cost to me. Dealer told me it was an electrical component failure. They are going to replace it next week.
Now I just have to figure out how to get it back home. Dosn't sound like roadside is willing to bring her home for no cost. Any one have suggestions about how to deal with getting her home at no coat to me.
I also noticed the gas gage is off by 2 U.S gallons, I asked the dealership to have a look at that as well. Is this a common issue?; anyone know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
I'm concerned about my cross country trip this summer and the desert crossings to Utah.
No U.S. 50 or U.S. 6 for you!!! :teeth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your GT issues. I'm up to 5,000 miles on mine, purchased 7/7/2006. Riding here next to Canada is not as easy as it is in CA. So far, my GT has been sweet. No hassles. :dance:

Please keep us informed about what you learn as they fix the problem.

Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
Just a bit frustrated…

So I’m on the road yesterday, and as I’m sitting at a light in a small town, my red master warning comes on with an associated “brake failure” light. Now I’m thinking to myself, I kind of like having brakes, it makes for a much better and lower stress riding experience, so this got my attention. (some of you may remember I’ve had issues with nuisance warnings on this bike before, but this one seemed a little more important.

So I turned off the bike and back on, message gone. Kewl! A mile or so down the road, and its back! I pulled off onto a side street and start seeing if it is more than a message. Of course, it is! The front doesn’t seem to take any more effort, but the rear takes a lot more effort, and if I try, I can lock up the back. I’m pretty comfortable with that, since it means I got great stopping power, but no servo assist, and no anti-lock. I’m fine with both of those, so I kept riding. I’ve got a few hundred miles on it since and it is still consistent. It resets when I turn off the bike, but I don’t’ count on it going too far with out the warning again.

I got my handy-dandy GS-911 out and pulled the code off the abs unit:
25072: Faulty ADC value of rear speed sensor it tells me.

I haven’t disturbed anything there, and I ran a quick visual check of the wires, and didn’t see anything.

Great, so after a few issues, including being towed to a dealer and another costing me some serious dollars due to the ignorance surrounding this bike, and most recently, a new clutch and throw-out bearing. (The board was down, so I haven’t posted that little story yet.)

Now this!!!?!?!?

I’m really starting to wonder if I want to keep this bike. Riding it is awesome, but owning it and being unable to enjoy it is not high on my list of fun things!!!

I’ll let Y’all know what ends up happening.

Please....what year is your GT?
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
3,155 Posts
Racegun said:
Please....what year is your GT?
He said "No servo assist to help stop the bike" so that makes it an '06.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
3,155 Posts
KGK1200GT said:
Now I just have to figure out how to get it back home. Dosn't sound like roadside is willing to bring her home for no cost. Any one have suggestions about how to deal with getting her home at no coat to me.
You could always just ride it back. Not sure how you'd get to the dealer in the first place though. :)

FWIW, I wonder if my gas gauge is off as well. Twice I've run it down to where miles remaining says --- and I could only put in about 5 1/2 gallons. Maybe I'll just carry a gallon can and then ride it until it runs out, just to see what it will take from full empty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Racegun said:
Some 06's had servo's....didn't they... I am pretty sure they did!!!!! / ???????? DOES ANYONE KNOW?
All 06's had servo. 07 was the "new" system. This is model year as defined by the VIN as opposed to actuall production date..

And yes Benica's is an 06. I beleive he did a 50cc on it......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
he left off the part about the milage... :D

btw, richard. it is the dreaded "air box" problem. dealer has no clue when the new ones
are supposed to be out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay,

the latest in the saga...

I'm riding along with my brake failure lights screaming and suddenly my speedometer goes nuts. 40 to 170 to 65 to, well, you get the idea.

Now I don't where the pick up/sensor is for the speedometer, but I'm thinking it may be back in the rear drive, and not the tranny where I had assumed it was. This may actually help with troubleshooting as I just have to figure out where those two signals are in a common place.

I'll do a thorough wire check today and let Y'all know if I find anything unusual. Otherwise I'll probably drop it off at the dealer Tues. or Wed. IF I can get a loaner bike.

Also, the GS 911 will pull the codes off the ABS, K module, Engine 'puter, and instrument panel. They are still prioritizing the GS models, but updating software all the time, and some day ( maybe as long as a year or two) will have it covering all kinds of stuff. I'm hoping to help them figure out a way to talk to the maint./service part of the bike, so we can tell when the valves need adjusting and tell it when we did them, etc. They are pretty busy with the R motors for now, but someday might have time to play with the K bikes.

In case it wasn't resolved, it is an 06 GT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Thanks for the GS911 info; I think I'll get one for my BMW equipped bikes. I'm pretty sure the speed pick up is on the rear since it is linked to the ABS system.
Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
Okay,

the latest in the saga...

I'm riding along with my brake failure lights screaming and suddenly my speedometer goes nuts. 40 to 170 to 65 to, well, you get the idea.

Now I don't where the pick up/sensor is for the speedometer, but I'm thinking it may be back in the rear drive, and not the tranny where I had assumed it was. This may actually help with troubleshooting as I just have to figure out where those two signals are in a common place.

I'll do a thorough wire check today and let Y'all know if I find anything unusual. Otherwise I'll probably drop it off at the dealer Tues. or Wed. IF I can get a loaner bike.

Also, the GS 911 will pull the codes off the ABS, K module, Engine 'puter, and instrument panel. They are still prioritizing the GS models, but updating software all the time, and some day ( maybe as long as a year or two) will have it covering all kinds of stuff. I'm hoping to help them figure out a way to talk to the maint./service part of the bike, so we can tell when the valves need adjusting and tell it when we did them, etc. They are pretty busy with the R motors for now, but someday might have time to play with the K bikes.

In case it wasn't resolved, it is an 06 GT.
Mine is doing the EXACT same thing, just wondering what the problem turned out to be?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top