BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ABSlight keeps blinking after
i turn the switch of and it stops for a sort time but then starts again. can anyone tell me why this happens

·
Registered
283 Posts
See by your photo you have an RS later style.
You say it 'keeps' blinking....does that mean it blinks while you are riding? It should stop blinking when you roll forward after startup. If it does not, you likely either have something wrong with your brake system, or with the ABS relay. Staying on after you shut down and remove the key is a new one on me and points more to the relay or worse.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sometimes you can pick up a little rock that will knock the sensor off it's alignment. It's quite surprising how little force it takes to accomplish it. Usually happens on the front wheel. Have the sensor's position verified and and if it requires a slight realignment the system should resume normal function. This is a common occurrence on older bikes, and particularly on bikes from the mid to late 90's. Hopefully your problem is as simple as that.

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
rocky1200 said:
My ABSlight keeps blinking after
i turn the switch of and it stops for a sort time but then starts again. can anyone tell me why this happens
Check the level in all three of your brake reservoirs, it's the easiest and fastest thing to check that might cause this problem.

Do a search on this forum, lots of information on different reasons that the brake warning light(s) flash.

Check the light flashing frequency, and look under the seat, there should be a sticker that gives more clues on what the flashing means.

If it's not a low brake reservoir, then it could be a low battery (the servo uses lots of power and needs a strong battery), an ABS sensor that's not gapped correctly, a sticky switch, a blown brake light bulb, or a bad servo (expensive).

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Another thing is that if the flash code is res. low...in the rear res. by the battery the float will sometimes stick and cause a low fluid flash code..just tap the side of the res ....on cold mornings after the bike sat on the side stand the float would drop lower and when the bike is stood up the float stays under the fluid level and throws the light on after a few miles the heat blowing back from the engine will allow the float to rise back up

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
What they all say, but if you do not have the book, here is 2003, K1200RS :thumb:

·
Registered
104 Posts
h96669,
I just noticed you live in Burton. Now that's what I call small town living. I don't imagine there's a BMW dealership in Nakusp, Revelstoke, or Castlegar. That leaves me thinking you must have to drive all the way to Kelowna or Kamloops for parts? I ride in your neck of the woods at least once a year. That is some of the best riding in the world. I grew up in Kimberley and learned to ride on those roller coasters they call roads in the Kootenays. You have my envy.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Yoda said:
h96669,
I just noticed you live in Burton. Now that's what I call small town living. I don't imagine there's a BMW dealership in Nakusp, Revelstoke, or Castlegar. That leaves me thinking you must have to drive all the way to Kelowna or Kamloops for parts? I ride in your neck of the woods at least once a year. That is some of the best riding in the world. I grew up in Kimberley and learned to ride on those roller coasters they call roads in the Kootenays. You have my envy.
Dealership......I do all my own work and try to avoid the "part counter". But yes Kelowna if I have to, I know the owner from way back in Victoria!
Ah, Kimberley...my new neighbor just moved out of there, I think he had enough of the fake "Germanic" influence.....! :teeth
Life is a little more...."real"....in Burton, that is if you do not mind finding cougar tracks close from the house.....! :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Foot Brake Lever Switch .....?

I had a similar problem on a long ride to alaska. The foot brake pedal was sagging slightly and the micro switch on it was not resetting..... a very slight bend to the arm on the microswitch fixed things nicely.

·
Registered
59 Posts
h96669

I too love the Kootenays..ahhhh Ainsworth Hot Springs, was through their
a couple of years back on the LT and planning a trip through this year on
my new GT.

Seriously considering the big move from here to the Trail/Rossland area,
and best friends and neighbors are considering Kimberley for its midway
between the kids residences. My niece lives in Castlegar, but is not very fond of it. :boom:
Pollution she says.

Perhaps we shall cross paths sometime
Cheers :2beers:

P.S. it was the weak output from my battery on the LT that activated the warning
lights on my ABS

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Eh! Where is the original poster before we hijack his thread with Hot Springs and riding the Kootenays.....????? :)

But now that the battery output was mentioned, I came across something yesterday....if the battery shows around 12.3 or 12.4 V, It may not have enough juice to do the Self-test on the ABS system, so you may want to put a good voltmeter on it and work from there.

Depending on the type of battery you have , there is some charts in there that may help you determine its condition.Look for the Temperature Compensated Battery State-of-Charge Table.(SoC) :thumb:

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts