BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 K12RS (pre EVO brakes). The ABS lights have been flashing recently and I can't figure out what the problem is. Any ideas on what the cause could be?

·
Registered
589 Posts
First thing and most common cause is low battery voltage. Check that the battery has and maintains a full charge. Next look at the wheel sensors gap. You may need to have the dealer read the fault code.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Search the community archives on ABS faults. There's at least one post in there that walks you through checking the ABS fault signals to help indicate what the problem is. The problem could be any one (or more) of the position switches. The process from the post helps pinpoint which one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
O3 GT ABS problem also Please help us ABS folks!!!!!

Did you solve your problem? I have an 03 GT that I am having an ABS problem on and have checked about everything even took it to the dealer and had them diagnose the ABS. They cleared the codes but the light still came on when they were there. The symptom is this, I can drive the bike out of the driveway and repeatable apply the brakes and they are OK. Then in about a 1/2 mile the light comes on after I apply the brakes. Then once it comes on it doesn't reset. Does anybody have this symptom or had this type of problem fixed? The dealer said that it was a wiring problem and said who knows if they could figure it out. So what I am looking for is suggestions on what other people have found that could be wrong. And what they have had there dealers find wrong. I really want my ABS to work again. I have inspected as best that I can and currently have my bike completely torn down of all fairings. Please HELP!!! I am a mechanic and to the best of my abilities have not solved this problem on my own and don't want to have the dealer take me for hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When the light comes back on do you lose the servo assist? My riding friend Bill who is on this site as Bill K had a similar problem. He would lose the servo assist but it could be fine all day then it would act up. He had to have the servo unit replaced. One of his symptoms when the light and loss of servo was that the servo was constantly running. I don't know if this is what your bike is doing. Hopefully it is not this that unit is like $1600. plus the labor unless you do it yourself.
Good luck

·
Registered
589 Posts
grabyfam said:
Did you solve your problem? I have an 03 GT that I am having an ABS problem on and have checked about everything even took it to the dealer and had them diagnose the ABS. They cleared the codes but the light still came on when they were there. The symptom is this, I can drive the bike out of the driveway and repeatable apply the brakes and they are OK. Then in about a 1/2 mile the light comes on after I apply the brakes. Then once it comes on it doesn't reset. Does anybody have this symptom or had this type of problem fixed? The dealer said that it was a wiring problem and said who knows if they could figure it out. So what I am looking for is suggestions on what other people have found that could be wrong. And what they have had there dealers find wrong. I really want my ABS to work again. I have inspected as best that I can and currently have my bike completely torn down of all fairings. Please HELP!!! I am a mechanic and to the best of my abilities have not solved this problem on my own and don't want to have the dealer take me for hundreds of dollars.
Have you changed the tail light stoplight assembly? There is a voltage sensor in the system that can show this problem if there is not the correct current being sensed when the brake light is activated. Some of the earlier LED replacement units had to have resistors added to correct this problem.
Is your bike still in warranty? It sounds like you may need to locate a dealer with a competent electrician. Many good mechanics are not well versed in dealing with electrical problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You have 2 lights flashing ? If the general warning light and the abs warning light are flashing alternately at the slower hz, it indicates low brake fluid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Out of warranty for ABS

This is what I have done so far. Topped off the fluids, changed out the brake light bulb. Symptoms are this = Brake warning flashes at 1hz and the triangle stays on continuously. The one thing that occurs occasionally is the 1 hz flashing will sometimes flash irregularly. So I have had this mind set about it being some sort of a wiring or relay problem. I have checked the grounds to the engine and inspected most of the wiring harness connectors and made sure none of the fuses or relays are loose. I have the wiring diagram and understand the circuits my gut feeling is that the ABS modulator is going bad. But this bike only has 8,000 miles but they (BMW) warranty was voided when I bought it as wrecked bike over one year ago and have never had ABS problems all this time. The accident damage was the front forks bent and the wheel and some bodywork that I fixed but it has been an awesome bike for 4,000 miles until just two weeks ago.
I guess I am looking for the one little tip that may fix this gremlin without resorting to 1500 big green ones.
My next step will be talking to a small old school BMW place called Re-precycle here in Lithopolis OH they have a mechanic that may have knowledge of this system. He was on vacation this week so I will call next week.
The Columbus BMW dealer had a younger guy work on my bike and he told me that he used to work on Harleys but they didn't have an opening for him so I lost some confidence right then and there about him solving the problem. Because he hasn't been working on BMW's for long. Anyhow I really appreciate the advice you guys give I have been reading posts on this site for a year know and use it almost every week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tech training

I should have asked before the service. I am sure some of these guys never get BMW training. I had to be trained for being a Master Honda mechanic on all the electrical stuff so why shouldn't the BMW techs.
I am going to get that other BMW shop to take a look at it soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bobmws said:
...It sounds like you may need to locate a dealer with a competent electrician. Many good mechanics are not well versed in dealing with electrical problems.
Boy tell me about it. My ABS lights wouldn't reset and the BMW "mechanic" diagnosed a faulty computer. The part lists at $2800.00 + Cdn and is supposed to take 9 hours (at $90/hr) so with taxes I was looking at getting pocket change out of $4000.00
Luckily several folks both in the US and Canada had used computers available so I decided to go that route and told the dealer to button it back up and do nothing. Since it was Friday I decided to ride on the weekend without ABS and then bring it in to a small shop on Monday that could do the swap for me. Guess what? I start the bike up, roll ahead 10 feet and the computer resets itself. I must have one of those special self-healing K bikes. My bet is the battery voltage was low and the first shop charged the battery but never got around to testing the system. If I had had the money I could have just told them to go ahead and fix the bike and would have spent $4000.00 for nothing. Having lousy mechanics is fun isn't it?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Well, I would take a close look at the front sensor wiring and gap
since you had an accident up there prior. Seen quite a few abs failures related
to wiring that got frayed or pinched. maybe the bent forks put some strain
on the wire?
HTH

·
Registered
9 Posts
ABS sensor check

This weekend I will be checking sensor gap and pulse reading. I worked some this past weekend and found many wire ties really tight from the BMW original ties. So I have been wanting to do a closer check of the wiring. I haven't given up yet.
Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you hooked up a volt meter and observed voltage before, during and after startup? measure + at the fuse panel and - at the block.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you check the ABS sensors?

I low sided my bike a few weeks ago at a relatively low speed. Everything is working fine, but the ABS lights keep flashing. (I have an'01 with EVO ABS). I suspect it may be one of the ABS wheel sensors. Is there any way to check without having to go to the Beemer dealer for a computer check? (I did disconnect the battery cable to try to reset the ABS, but it don't work).

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Richinga said:
I low sided my bike a few weeks ago at a relatively low speed.
Check the sensor gap with the feeler gauges in the tool kit first. The sensor may have moved because of the low side. Make sure to check the gap in more than one spot by taking a reading, then rotate the wheel and check again in another spot. There can be tight and loose spots.
Front & Rear sensor gap: 0.45 mm - 0.55 mm

·
Registered
221 Posts
check the clearance between the wheel sensors and the shutter ring on the wheel. It needs to be close like .020 or less. Also if you accidently unplug one of the sensors with the key on it will have to be reset by the modic at the dealers. Make sure the accident didn't bend one of the sensor rings. And as mentioned earlier, if the battery is shaky, the load of starting will cause the ABS to fault.
hope you can fix it
H

·
Registered
82 Posts
ABS warning light mystery

Maybe some of you can help...

Once in a while, my ABS warning lights (2 of time) flashes when I start the bike,..it flashes alternately, right , left, right , left etc...when I ride off, the light does not go off......so I would stop, restart the bike and everything is OK.

Or

the normal flash is both come on at the same time, and both on, then off.etc..when I ride off, the ligth goes off.

what's the issue here?

Plastics
99 K1200RS silver/blue

1 - 19 of 19 Posts