BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before my 600 mile inspection (K1200RS, build date 11/03) I got 33, 32, and 30 mpg on successive tanks of gas. At the time of the inspection I told the service manager that I hadn't experienced any throttle response issues, but that I had heard that some people who had the ECU swap saw improved gas mileage. The ECU was replaced and I was content. Today (riding with Pat Darke on his swell new R) I ran off a tank of gas and got 22 mpg. The gas light came on at 80 miles. We rode conservatively and the ride included around 40 highway miles at 70 to 80 mph. There are about 900miles on the bike. :mad: :( :confused: :eek:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
501 Posts
First thing is to average at least 4 consecutive tanks of gas to get a true picture of your mileage. But, it sounds like you are close and it isn't good. Does it smell really rich when you start the bike AND after it's warmed up? Since the bike has a catalytic converter there are other things that might be off. The dealer should be able to detect them with their hi-tech monitor though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
22 mpg is way below acceptable level for even the most "spirited" driver IMHO. It must be a defect that should be fixed under warranty.

Good luck !

/Michael

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm with Detour. Do you smell fuel?... You should be able to run the piss out of it (hard in the twisties or 100mph+ on the slab all day) and still get 30-35.. I rarely get less than 35 (since I've had the ECU change) no matter how I ride it.
Bring it to the dealer would be my recommendation.
Good luck
'03GT

·
Registered
398 Posts
Have a quick look on the right side of the engine about two inches above and four inches back from the oil filler cap, that is where you will find the quick disconnects for the fuel tank. Check for leaking. They would have removed the tank to replace the ECU.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've managed to get as low as 27 with some spirited application of throttle.
Typical is 32-35.
I almost always ride w/loaded bags.
I use Z-Tech short in summer and RS stock screens in winter.
I'm about 225-230 lbs on bike.
Some extra drag as top of helmet at @6'8" of so.

22mpg would indicate a serious proble, As posted, determine if there is a leak immediately.
Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd say you've got a problem. In the last 5,000 miles, I have never been below 38mpg, and that was on a very cold, very spirited ride. Hound the dealer to find out why.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was it only this last tank that showed 22mpg? Any chance it wasn't actually "full" the last time you filled up with gas (pumped clicked off early, distracted talking with someone, etc)? I'd check for a leak (safety first), make sure it is full, and then try again. 2-3 tanks at 22mpg would indicate an issue...

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
My older '97 on mixed cruise and town gives 150 miles to the low fuel warning, then 30 miles and there's 2-3 litres left before air. Normally I wouldn't run that tight, but I was 20 minutes away from my local gas station and pushed the range a bit.

A new K ought to be better unless they made the motor so tight it's not run in yet, or the disc brakes are half on all the time!

If you really think the gas is disappearing into the motor, have a simple CO check done on the exhaust by a cage dealer. If your motor is running that rich, the CAT isn't going to last long. Perhaps it's something simple like the O2 sensor got disconnected. A BMW Moditec diags check is 1/2 hours labor and worth the $$'s if it's a new bike. If there's a fuel leak problem and the bike burns up in their workshop whilst running it up to temperature, your covered!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About leaks and that last tank of gas: That last tank, the one with 22 mpg, started off full, topped off by me in the garage with a small can of gas. It was full and that's that. I checked the disconnects and they are bone dry. After yesterday's ride I topped off at a gas station and then rode directly home, about 3 miles. This afternoon I peered into the tank and it didn't seem to be down at all. I don't think I have a leak, but I'll keep looking.

I did run my finger around the inside of the exhaust and it came out black. Then I did the same to my car and it came black as well. I don't know what this means. I think I'm headed for the service department. Thanks for all of your advice.

·
Registered
193 Posts
BillA said:
The gas light came on at 80 miles.
What everybody else said ... but ... sticking my nose out, if you're basing your mileage on the reserve light that might be the problem (simply giving a overcautious reading and can be recalibrated by dealer). If your calculation is on amount pumped in then just ignore this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will just put in my two bits worth. The throttle is just too tempting, but I still get 45+ MPG per tank. Something is very, very wrong. I think it needs a trip back to the dealer. That is exactly what I would do.

Cycle_gator
aka Tim
'04 K1200RS Orient Blue

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fuel milage

I get 40-45 MPG on my K12GT. I run it normally, not a speeding teenage but not a putting around old guy either. If I were getting the low milage I read about here I would be wanting to know why.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You must be rinning rich. The inside of my exhaust is dry and Tan/Light Brown as far down as I can see into the exhaust. Never black or showing soot. I get a low fuel light around 160. I ride it everyday like a stolen bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts