BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Accessory Plug & Herr Canbus

Can anyone tell me what BMW what thinking when they wired the accessory plug through the Canbus electrical system? I'm serious, it seems to me you can't charge the battery anymore without jumping through hoops, can't run my cycle gadgets air pump anymore, can't run heated clothing, all kidding aside what can you run on a Canbus accessory plug? Why did BMW screw with a good thing? Ever hear don't fix it if it ain't broken?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm sure there is a good german engineering reason for the canbus. I, and many others, just ran a separate accy plug straight to the battery. I can light my xmas tree with it and still have power for gerbings.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The only reason I can think you would run the accessory through the "Cannabis" (you wold have to be high to think this is an acceptable electrical layout) system is theft. If you had an active port then you could drain the system and bypass the alarm.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
2008-K1200GT said:
Can anyone tell me what BMW what thinking when they wired the accessory plug through the Canbus electrical system? I'm serious, it seems to me you can't charge the battery anymore without jumping through hoops, can't run my cycle gadgets air pump anymore, can't run heated clothing, all kidding aside what can you run on a Canbus accessory plug? Why did BMW screw with a good thing? Ever hear don't fix it if it ain't broken?
Most autos manufactured within the past few years use a form of Canbus to make the wiring system more efficient. It is similar to a computer network. Each item has a unique code.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts