BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good-day. Bike is a 1989K100RS. I want to use a heated jacket liner. There are different wattage liners available. What would the plug on this bike be rated at.
Cheers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well it would be draw as much current as the inline fuse would allow it to. I'm not sure what you have in there but 10amp X 12v = 120 watts and 15amp X 12v = 180 watts max. That said the alternator only puts out so many amps so it would depend on how many other gadgets you have running (heated grips, extra lights, etc). I'm sure you'd be good with whatever liner you buy though unless you have a lot of accessories.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
What he said. The limiting factor isn't the capacity of the socket but how many "spare" watts the alternator has. My experience tells me that the amount of spare watts is somewhere in excess of 100W and jacket liners usually pull less than that so you should be OK if you're not running other accessories.

Note that this may cause your alternator light in the cluster to glow dimly. Nothing to worry about if it's just glowing dimly though.

If you want to run more than 1xx watts of accessories then it's possible to upgrade from your current (no pun intended) 32 amp alternator to the later 50 amp alternator.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Ducker, what would "later version" of alternator be? Like 1991? or newer? I too have a 1989 RS.

By thw way, having been a Husky and now a Beaver, I know it rains more here in WValley. But you have more drippy days! Go Dawgs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts