BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is only for the 1-UP folks...sorry.

In preparation for my CCR trip, I wanted to add a seat bag (or something?) to the GT. I starting looking at my options. Duffle bags, seat bags, etc., etc... I wanted something waterproof, I knew that. And I wanted something big, but not too big. And if it worked out to be a good backrest, yippee! Then there's always the COST. But we all know that you usually get what you pay for.

Well not this time! ;)

I think what I have rigged up is going to do all of the above, and more. I found a waterproof puncture-proof dufflebag on eBay for $39.98 to my door! The quality is superb! Then, I bought two 6-hook Bungee cargo nets for $3.99 each. Total cost = $48.52!

But wait...there's more!!! :p

Next, I took 2 standard milk crates (13"L x 13"W x 11"H) that I had laying around (lifetime musician's tend to have them), and I chopped off 1.5" off 1 side of each of the crates. I placed them inside the duffle bag with the newly cut side facing each other as to form one new crate measuring 23"L x 13"W x 11"H, and I zip-tied those babies together. Now I have a hard-sided duffle bag that obviously holds it's shape very well, AND it's LIGHT! It sits on the grab rails nicely too. The duffle bag also has a pocket on each side 14" x 14" x 1.5" for handy storage. Sweet!

Finally, I took the 2 Bungee cargo nets and hooked them to the grab rails, wrapped around the ends of the duffle and hooked the nets together on top. Holds the duffle in place, and I can always stuff other things under the net as I see fit. Adding another bag on top would be a piece of cake as well.

(FWIW, the pic below is the duffle bag completely empty.)

·
Registered
497 Posts
WOW! That is great! Necessity is the mother of invention...

Brian

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Wow, I could probably travel for a month with that much cargo !!!!!
Way to go...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nice and very inexpensive, but I do have a comment: don't use bungees, but straps. Once something gets in motion, it stays in motion; bungees allow this, straps don't.
Have fun at the Rally.
Greg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GregC said:
...but I do have a comment: don't use bungees, but straps. Once something gets in motion, it stays in motion; bungees allow this, straps don't.
I have a friend that makes soft straps. I'll get him to make me a custom set. :)

·
The Gov
660 Posts
tre chic!

At first I thought that was the BMW bag for the top case. Very cool idea and with the crates you would have solid support for some padding for your back - eggscelent :bowdown

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is it me??

Why do you need so much luggage space for a one up journey? I regually tour for 2 weeks at a time, two up with just the normal two side cases, a tank bag and a Givi 46l top case.

Perhaps you change into full evening dress each night for dinner and don't know how to wash your essential items and dry them overnight?

Just curious that's all.......

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BMKrider said:
Why do you need so much luggage space for a one up journey? [snip] Just curious that's all.......
Things I'll be putting in that bag...
  • Laptop, and all of it's accessories
  • Other electronic stuff - camera charging dock, CF cards, cell phone charger, etc.
  • Tools - a real assortment that might actually get you back on the road.
  • Roadside repair kit - Over the years, I have assembled a list of items that I like to take with me for emergency roadside repairs. Wire, an assortment of tapes (Gaff tape, electrical tape, etc.), zip ties, JB Weld, hose clamps, extra bulbs, and so on.
So you see...it'll be nice just to have all of my clothing in the GT's top box and saddlebags, and everything else in this seat duffle bag. Do I need this much extra space? Probably not. But so what?
If a little is never enough.
...and more is always better.
Than too much just might be just right! :D

·
The Gov
660 Posts
I'm the same as "just Joe". I have the top case and always put light quick access stuff in there. I put the heavier stuff or things that I am more worried about from a vibration standpoint, like my good camera, notebook etc. along with anything I might have that is heavy on the rear seat.

Going over washboard is hell on stuff in the top case and it is also only rated for much of a load anyway.

All that said, when my wife and I take off, two riders, both one up, you wouldn't believe the shit we take. :wtf

·
Registered
236 Posts
Maybe it's just me...IMHO, some how "milk crates" and a large duffle (bigger than the top case itself) takes the "sports" right out of the term "sport touring"... Good Lord Man take the truck !

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BeemerDude said:
Maybe it's just me...IMHO, some how "milk crates" and a large duffle (bigger than the top case itself) takes the "sports" right out of the term "sport touring"... Good Lord Man take the truck !
It's a freakin' hard-sided duffle you moron! You obviously don't understand the TOURING aspect of "sport-touring". I tour the country, when I get to the location of choice...ALL of the bags and the duffel come OFF, and then the SPORT begins.

Who kicked a hole in the poser fence?!?!

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
messenger13 said:
This one is only for the 1-UP folks...sorry.

In preparation for my CCR trip, I wanted to add a seat bag (or something?) to the GT. I starting looking at my options. Duffle bags, seat bags, etc., etc... I wanted something waterproof, I knew that. And I wanted something big, but not too big. And if it worked out to be a good backrest, yippee! Then there's always the COST. But we all know that you usually get what you pay for.

Well not this time! ;)

I think what I have rigged up is going to do all of the above, and more. I found a waterproof puncture-proof dufflebag on eBay for $39.98 to my door! The quality is superb! Then, I bought two 6-hook Bungee cargo nets for $3.99 each. Total cost = $48.52!

But wait...there's more!!! :p

Next, I took 2 standard milk crates (13"L x 13"W x 11"H) that I had laying around (lifetime musician's tend to have them), and I chopped off 1.5" off 1 side of each of the crates. I placed them inside the duffle bag with the newly cut side facing each other as to form one new crate measuring 23"L x 13"W x 11"H, and I zip-tied those babies together. Now I have a hard-sided duffle bag that obviously holds it's shape very well, AND it's LIGHT! It sits on the grab rails nicely too. The duffle bag also has a pocket on each side 14" x 14" x 1.5" for handy storage. Sweet!

Finally, I took the 2 Bungee cargo nets and hooked them to the grab rails, wrapped around the ends of the duffle and hooked the nets together on top. Holds the duffle in place, and I can always stuff other things under the net as I see fit. Adding another bag on top would be a piece of cake as well.

(FWIW, the pic below is the duffle bag completely empty.)

I had a similar dilemma and went for a proprietary Oxford bag, like the one in the pics. Note the integral side flaps which strap under the seat, This make the bag really firm and unlikely to move anywhere.

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/products1.asp?DepartmentID=135

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
Fixed it for ya, mang. No need to thank me now, see you at CCR!

messenger13 said:
Things I'll be putting in that bag...
  • Laptop, and all of it's accessories
  • Other electronic stuff - camera charging dock, CF cards, cell phone charger, etc.
  • Tools - a real assortment that might actually get you back on the road.
  • Roadside repair kit - Over the years, I have assembled a list of items that I like to take with me for emergency roadside repairs. Wire, an assortment of tapes (Gaff tape, electrical tape, etc.), zip ties, JB Weld, hose clamps, extra bulbs, and so on.
  • Inflatable goat

·
Registered
236 Posts
Now settle down, "Milk Crate"! I mean Joe...Not everyone's on the forum is a moron that has an opinion other than yours. BTW, If you need some assistance packing for CCR, I'll send over a couple of Mayflower guys to assist.

messenger13 said:
It's a freakin' hard-sided duffle you moron! You obviously don't understand the TOURING aspect of "sport-touring". I tour the country, when I get to the location of choice...ALL of the bags and the duffel come OFF, and then the SPORT begins.

Who kicked a hole in the poser fence?!?!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Might have saved yourself a lot of trouble by buying one of the "RiggPaks - Survivor Series."

Waterproof, etc, and fits great on the passenger seat.

Don Goldberg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dongold said:
Might have saved yourself a lot of trouble by buying one of the "RiggPaks - Survivor Series."

Waterproof, etc, and fits great on the passenger seat.
"A lot of trouble"?!?! Huh?! I ran 2 milk crates through a table saw 3 times each. 20 minutes and it was "installed" on my bike. All for under $50. Umm...I'm fine with that kind of trouble. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Joe...
did you use a jigsaw to cut those crates... or a circular saw... if i might ask?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts