BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added a 'PowerLet' power port outlet to my R12GS very close to forks, and have decided to add one to the K12S. The one in the present location ok for charging and/or occasional use should your cell phone crap out, but other than that its location is not good to me.

If any have added a Powerlet outlet (direct wired, no CANBUS) where have you put it? I of course would like it close to the handlebars/key area to power items such as GPS, etc.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey John. Just added one to my S on the left side. There is the small panel (same on both sides) that mostly faces you as a "filler" panel to the side fairing and is held in place by two T25 screws. I put my outlet about in the center (left to right) but near the upper edge of the panel. This puts the outlet on a nearly horizontal plane so that water won't fall directly on it. Then I routed the wire directly to the battery including a fusable link. It is possible to add more than one outlet in this location if needed. If you put one on either the right or left panel, look carefully before you drill a hole to make sure that you will not contact the screw brakets that hold the panel in place. I chose the left panel because I will plug in a radar detector on that side...if I can ever find a mount that I like. I'll periodically plug in the battery charger there as well...but normally in the factory plug.

The panel can be removed easily (it's pretty pliable) without taking off any other plastic but go slow so you don't break any of the tabs(think there are two on one side and one on the other). The only problem I had was that the hole needed to be 5/8" for the outlet and I only had a 1/2" bit. So, I drilled the 1/2" and cheated with an exacto knife to get it to the right size.

It's a real easy intallation...probably about 15 minutes or longer...depending on the number of beers to admire your handywork.

See ya...Doug

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly where I thought I would add mine. I bought the entire cable assembly (fused) from PowerLet. Were you able to 'thread' the wire thru the tupperware to the battery without removing anything/ Oh, a good purchase for hole drilling is it kinda looks like a conical grindstone, about 1.5 inches in length . . . 1/4 in shaft. I think about 2 bucks at Home Depot. Works great and neat holes.

Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just remove the battery cover... you'll need to anyway...and you'll see a real obvious path for your wire and I think I only had to use one zip-tie. I used some forcepts to pull the wire from the top of the bike but it's no big deal. Thanks for the tip on the cone. Being impatient as I am and up here in the boonies...a trip to Lowes (wife works there so no HD for me) wasn't in my immediate plans. Plus the beer was tasting really good!

One other thing: Remember to put the hinge for the cover of your outlet to the top. That way it won't be as easily broken with use.

·
Maestro de Turismo
406 Posts
John, I currently don't have any place to post my pictures, so here's an attached image that shows were I put two plugs right up close to the ignition.

The square plastic plate you see in the picture is the base plate for the BMW GPS mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it. As you all know, poking holes in a BMW is traumatic, at least for me. Thanks again!

·
Registered
236 Posts
jpalamaro said:
Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it. As you all know, poking holes in a BMW is traumatic, at least for me. Thanks again!

Look at it this way: poking holes in the side panels or the battery cover is probably the cheapest thing on a BMW to poke holes in. I've got it, in selecting where to put your outlet, put it where the cheapest of your alternatives are, that way you can goof up with no remorse :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Daniele,

Got a picture of how you have your gps mounted? I'm curious to see how that looks. Thx.

M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts