BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a small auto repair shop since 1964 and generally we shy away from chemical additives (mechanics in a can) However I recently tried both Red Line fuel system cleaner (pn60103) and LiquiMoly transmission additive (pn lm2019) in my "92 K75s. I noticed differences immediately. The backfire on partial throttle was nearly eliminated and shifting was noticeably smoother and the transmission quieter-among other things. I have a friend who runs a R90s and a R100rs , I'm going to get some more of these products and see if he'll try them. If anyone else has tried these products and noticed similar improvements I'd be interested to hear about it. Thanks for your time

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I had an old EFi car that came back with a marginal emissions test fail. The shop suggested an engine injection cleaner additive which I was very skeptical about. They work by raising the combustion temperature and burning off gummy carbon.

I ran the car tank down to reserve then added the stuff, followed by 16 miles at 3-4K rpm. The engine felt a lot smoother and the emissions test the following day showed a big improvement whilst mpg went up about 2mpg.

I've never had a problem on the bike, but it depends what kind of mileages you do. Frequent cold stop starts will start clogging things up and most Ks are rarely ridden to their max horsepower. I found out the major constituent of most engine cleaners is cheap Xylene. I put about 400ml in a full gas tank before a long trip and the big K has seemed well and smooth since.

When I did a second tear down on my rear drive to investigate loss of pre-load and play, I cut open the bearing and didn't like the friction scuffing I saw on the bearing parts. I don't know whether it will give better mileage on the new bearing, but I added about 2ml of Moly additive to the RD oil. Despite what they say, I wouldn't use it on trannis with synchromesh, but I see no issue like that with the RD.

I don't believe in additives as a fix all solution, but sensibly considered I think they can be useful. if you have diesel cars with DPF, additives could save you an expensive repair if you use them before the DPF has a chance to get full to MIL light on.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
On occasions, I add a little BMW-branded Fuel Additive with Techron to the fuel tank. It seems to make a difference. According to a lot of friends and other sources, the BMW brand of Techron is a better buy than the cheap Walmart Techron. The BMW brand contains a considerably higher concentrate of Techron and is more effective. It doesn't take much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts