BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question; I am going on a trip with a lot of luggage and a passenger. I would like to adjust the shock on my 1990 K75s, to better support all the additional weight. I have the proper tool to adjust my shock, but in not sure if I should adjust it clockwise or counter-clockwise. Any insight here is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Charles,

Undoubtedly you will need to increase the pre-load up a fair bit. I'm assuming the stock OEM shocker?

You need to compress the spring as much as possible - to it's last adjustment [ OEM ]. That is to say shorten the distance the spring can travel.

I would then load the bike with all the luggage and passenger and then check the SAG of the spring - that is to say the difference between fully unloaded [ on the stand ] and with th weight on.

You will be looking for a compression of the unit of NO MORE than 1/3rd. Any more than that and the unit is in danger of bottoming out.

This is not unusual with OEM units [ especially if more than 20K miles use ]. A shocker /spring has to cope with an aweful lot of compromise [ OEM ]. Soft enough to be comfortable one up with no luggage and fully loaded ! :dunno:

Anyway - enjoy your trip :clap:
TJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts