BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I have a 05 k1200s and am planning a trip for next month. I am kind of concerned about the windshield as it is not exactly protective from the wind. Any ideas? I have been riding a RS around lately and that is really wind proof in comparison. Also have an issue with storage, dont want to spend a bunch because i know i will never use it unless i take a trip. Im not sure what to do here! help! all other tips appreciated!

·
Registered
969 Posts
surfrcali said:
Hey guys!

I have a 05 k1200s and am planning a trip for next month. I am kind of concerned about the windshield as it is not exactly protective from the wind. Any ideas? I have been riding a RS around lately and that is really wind proof in comparison. Also have an issue with storage, dont want to spend a bunch because i know i will never use it unless i take a trip. Im not sure what to do here! help! all other tips appreciated!
The touring screen is about 3" higher and has a slight flip to it that moves the wind higher and it doesn't look out of place on the KS.

Is the trip 1-up or 2-up? If 1-up, there are a lot of tail bags that hold a lot of gear. If 2-up, you are looking at side bags or a top case of some type. Provide some more info and people can give more advice.

·
Registered
459 Posts
check out helen's bags, I'm still using one weekly over the back seat, middle size. For more stuff, you might try the big one. Don't forget proper straps to hold it down. Never had a drop of water go thru it either, even in frog chokers, nada.

I take it you don't have the hard bags (side), also take a look at the seat bags that are shaped more to hang-over the sides of the seat, they may have more capacity.

The stock windscreen isn't bad if your wearing a full-cov helmet either, longest day on the KS was 1100 miles. Ok, neck was a little tired but I attribute that to old age :) Oh yeah, and big crosswinds will do it too. Oh..so will the drive down the PCH in Huntington Beach in the afternoon, yikes!:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found that on my S, much of my fatigue was due to noise from the wind / helmet. I'm 6'2" so I'm up in the wind a bit with the standard screen. When I use ear plugs, I really feel a difference in how tired I am.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks alot guys, seriously helps. I have a mra double bubble type windscreen but it doesnt seem to help, maybe even worse then stock. I will check out the laminar lip. I agree, I think most of my problem is the windshield. I just get alot of noise and wind. Thanks for the tips I will for sure use them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts