BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone ,need some advice.my next door neighbour has moved to aus and i live in NZ.HE HAS GIVEN ME HIS BMW K75 to use and look after.after some time in garage noticed that the battery id dead.so disconnected it took off the plugs on top of battery noticed it was dry.poured in some distilled water charged up with charger for a couple of days.now have connected it up digital clock lights up ok ,then tried ignition tried to start up but no joy then battery was getting hot and could smell fumes from battery.think it might be fooked.would a new battery and a oil change do the trick ,do you guys think?

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I guess your neighbor will appreciate you riding the bike a bit but may not thank you for running up a big parts bill.

It sounds from what you say that you spent too much time cranking and that will have caned the battery for sure. personally I would get the bike running before spending yours or your neighbors money. You can jump start with your truck or car battery, but if you have to crank over more than 3 or 4 times something is wrong.

Do you know BMWs and know about the safety stop switch on the handlebar?

Logically you should listen for the fuel pump priming at key on, perhaps put in some fresh gas if it has been standing a while. Then check you have a spark at the plug and there is a smell of gas or wetness from fuel getting to the plug. These are all the first checks for any non-starting gasolene engine.

Most BMWs can overfuel when cranking more than a few times. Remove all 4 plugs and put them on a gas burner for a few minutes watching for any yellow flame to burn away. Replace the plugs hot and crank. If fuel is getting through and there are sparks it should start.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I am always weary of dry batteries, as to where the acid went. :wtf: Flush & neutralize the acid otherwise it will rot the battery box and even other parts. Water first then add some baking soda, you'll see it bubble if there is any acid around.

Good that someone asked how long it sat without running. :dunno: The rubber parts inside the fuel tank may turn to goo if it sat too long with old gasoline inside.

Look at all the hoses, the one for the fuel pressure regulator is a well known failure point on them and so is the crankcase breather hose. You may have to remove the air box to inspect them properly.

If you don't have it the Haynes manual is free somewhere online. Or was last time I looked not too long ago.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas! :xcheer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts