BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The better half has decided we will need an intercom on the new bike. I've never had one and was looking for some comments on what is good gear.

Also anyone got any advice on the weather in August for a trip up the Newell highway, Victoria and Southern NSW in particular, ie is it really f^%*#*g cold or just cold.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
intercom

My experience with intercoms (police radio) is that they are okay only at the lower speeds. You do not tell us what bike you have , cannot advise. However if you search this site you will find heaps of info on intercoms. (still trying to figure why you would want to hear the wife talking. Mine grabbed my dick and yelled out, "If I go,this goes with me") I ride an RS and I have just got home after ride to Wagga. I wear a leather coat and waterproof pants that have a liner inside like a doona. I was as snug as. Problem is if you stop for long you cook, e.g petrol stop. Incidentally do you really have to use the Newell? That time of year it could be minus 4, 15c or pouring rain.

Last big sweeper on the freeway yesterday, dropped back to 100 as the bike was feeling like a truck. 1 k. from my house. Limped into the garage. Flat front tyre. Does not often happen like that. Pissing down rain also.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, hopefully a GT if it turns up on time.

Rest assured my thoughts on an intercom are the same but some fights are not worth having.

And yeah have to go up the Newell. At least it's he quickest way to tropical Qld, I hope. I was afraid of the long term weather report though. Sounds much like the weather in good old Tassy at the moment.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The Autocom unit is the way to go. There are three different models, each with a few features more than the one below it in the lineup. I have the Active Plus unit (middle of the lineup) and it has full VOX as well as capabilities for using a GPS, phone, iPod, bike-to-bike, etc. Communication is excellent between rider and passenger.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
shortest

I will be in Townsville later this week. I go the shortest way. Barmah, Hay, Cobar. Come out at Charters Towers or Torrens Creek. No traffic, never see Police (well did see one last time but we just had a friendly chat) Nice people, nice towns. But if you do not do this often!!!! Maybe the rotten Newell, up through Banana and hit the Bruce at Rocky. The weather is usually good. But this time last year I rode Townsville to Dirrinbandi in constant rain. Warmest place was Melbourne. The coast road is the warmest, busiest, most dangerous

·
Registered
650 Posts
westridge said:
The better half has decided we will need an intercom on the new bike. I've never had one and was looking for some comments on what is good gear.

Also anyone got any advice on the weather in August for a trip up the Newell highway, Victoria and Southern NSW in particular, ie is it really f^%*#*g cold or just cold.
You are right, some fights are not worth having so when you tell her that you have heard that motorcycle intercoms have been linked to "EOMS" she will ask what that is. Tell her that it is Early Onset Menopause Syndrome that has been scientifically linked to using radio communication within the confines of a motorcycle helmet. YES it is true dear!
Dry Vagina, Hot Flushes and the need for Hormone Replacement Therapy for sure!
Its an awful shame because having a conversation with her about what she has just seen(as if you didnt see it), how long before you are going to stop and having her become your automatic overspeed sensor is incredibly tempting I know.
Good Luck :rotf:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts