BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding with about 180-200 km/h for about one hour due to excessive heat, my tall Aeroflow screen cracked near one of the upper fix points, starting from the screw hole inwards. I wonder if this is covered by warrantee or not. I did not used Locktite and screw was not extra tighten as i have some experience replacing screens. I brought it from a French dealer.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
I had a similar issue after running 120-150 mph for an extended period. I drilled a small stop hole at the end of the crack and it's been fine for the last few thousand miles.

I'd still contact the French dealer and see what they can do for you.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
My last Aeroflow on an old RT cracked as well. But then, so did the same thickness of the Cee-Bailey when they made a cheaper (i.e. thinner) run of their screens for the GT (I had two: one cracked by knock over, other (thin one) all by itself). Cee-Bailey's attitude is much like that of Corbin - lousy.

Many years ago, I recall someone mentioning that the aftermarket shield companies were drilling the holes with drills that left micro-cracks around them. Then one of them began drilling with some other means (water or laser?). Seems like they went back to the old style. May not hurt to seal the shield's micro-cracks with a soldering gun run around the circumference?

Probably explains the thicker BMW stock shield too. :confused:

Mack

·
Registered
468 Posts
GMack said:
My last Aeroflow on an old RT cracked as well. But then, so did the same thickness of the Cee-Bailey when they made a cheaper (i.e. thinner) run of their screens for the GT (I had two: one cracked by knock over, other (thin one) all by itself). Cee-Bailey's attitude is much like that of Corbin - lousy.

Many years ago, I recall someone mentioning that the aftermarket shield companies were drilling the holes with drills that left micro-cracks around them. Then one of them began drilling with some other means (water or laser?). Seems like they went back to the old style. May not hurt to seal the shield's micro-cracks with a soldering gun run around the circumference?

Probably explains the thicker BMW stock shield too. :confused:

Mack
They probably weren't de-burring the holes. Leaves lots of micro cracks and damage where a crack can propagate.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had a Cee Bailey thinner model crack, 100mph into a 40 mph headwind....

CB just blew me off. I Used it to get $40 off a Cal Sci....

·
Registered
246 Posts
GMack said:
Then one of them began drilling with some other means (water or laser?).
Calsci screens are laser cut and the holes are drilled with the laser too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Toutech was very nice and cooperative, they sent a replacement for free and another screen 50% off as an additional backup. I paid half of shipping cost. However, today while riding with 220km/h with screen 60% up, it cracked on the right side, exactly as it previously did on the left. Now I have cracks both sides. Not good Aeroflow. This is a speed bike, do something so we can use the screen at speed. That is why we paid for it. No speed no protection needed.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I can't recall, but did Aeroflow include a couple of large diameter (30mm?) flat washers with rubber bonded on one side of them?

I had mine off when I replaced the front cowling and there were a couple on the top screw hole portions behind the screen resting on the metal lifts.

I may have done it when I did the switch from the Cee-Bailey - or maybe they came with that screen when the dealer took care of the knock-over? Dunno, but it may serve as a reinforcement.

But yeah, the large-sized screens are a bit too thin for this bike: both the the Cee-Bailey (which I believe went back to the thicker version) and the Aeroflow.

Mack

·
Registered
110 Posts
Doru-in-Romania said:
Toutech was very nice and cooperative, they sent a replacement for free and another screen 50% off as an additional backup. I paid half of shipping cost. However, today while riding with 220km/h with screen 60% up, it cracked on the right side, exactly as it previously did on the left. Now I have cracks both sides. Not good Aeroflow. This is a speed bike, do something so we can use the screen at speed. That is why we paid for it. No speed no protection needed.
At that speed, you may just have to dump the acrylic (plexiglass, perspex, etc.) shield and go to polycarbonate (lexan) like the stock one (as well as the ZTechnik). Acrylic (even the high impact stuff that Aeroflow claim to use) is almost always more prone to stress cracks than polycarb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts