BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aesop's Fables:
The Fox and the Grapes

A hungry fox passed below a fine bunch of grapes hanging high from a vine. After trying in vain to jump and reach them he gave up, saying to himself as he walked off, "The grapes looked ripe, but I see now they are quite sour."

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nail on head - Wham !

You nailed it, bud! :bowdown
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're the only one who 'enjoyed' my sardonic humor. Would love to ride in your neck of the woods! Happy motoring and if you get GT first, send me a PM. Regards

·
It janitor
342 Posts
Hey John, seems that there are a LOT of sour grapes around these days. LOL. But I too think you nailed it.

how long do you think until the general opinion is going to turn around? 3 months, 6 months?, 1 year?

I KNOW it will. As soon as the folks can really see the bikes up close and in person it'll change.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I remember when the K1200RS came out in 98. Everyone whined and cried about how it wasn't as nince as the K1100RS. Now the RS and GT are the most beautiful bikes BMW has ever built. All the crying about the GT sounds like people trying to protect their investment.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just can't understand the bad-mouthing of the GT. I will even go out on a limb and say that the 12S and 12R will become specialty bikes, perhaps like the vMax, GSXR's, etc. and that the mainstream sport touring bike for BMW will become the 12GT; and, somewhere down the line BMW will continue to be in the touring business and we will see a new LT. IMHO.

·
Registered
290 Posts
jpalamaro said:
Aesop's Fables:
The Fox and the Grapes

A hungry fox passed below a fine bunch of grapes hanging high from a vine. After trying in vain to jump and reach them he gave up, saying to himself as he walked off, "The grapes looked ripe, but I see now they are quite sour."
RIGHT ON, JOHN!!

Bob.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Remember it's a BMW "Function before form" It's what it rides like and will it fulfill the the reason for its existence. Sure we've all seen "prettier" bikes but ...

Providing it rides well, I'll be buying one. My names down for a test ride in late March.

·
Registered
35 Posts
jpalamaro said:
Aesop's Fables:
The Fox and the Grapes

Your sour grapes analogy implies that those with a less than favorable view of this bikes appearance are in some way unable to have one. Frankly, I am one who is still attempting to adjust to the looks of this bike. I am also completely capable of owning one. I am sure my dealer would be more than happy to get me in line for one and I have no problems affording one ( that sounds kind of arrogant...just stating the facts.. ) Some bikes do grow on me and I am always willing to try something different. Hell, my Tuono could be described as "visually challenged" but it is an awesome ride. I guess my point is views regarding the appearance of this bike are valid...at least to my eyes. I got used to the new 999 but they still don't evoke the same feelings that a 916-996-998 do.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve_Carlton said:
I'm interpreting this fable to mean you put down what you can't get.

That's why I can't stand Elle McPherson or Ferraris.
Valid, I think at one time, now remember, I'm old, but many years ago psychologists had 'sour grapes' as a defense mechanism so that you could 'cope' with disappointments. That is, an extension of your Elle McPherson and Ferrari scenario would be: Elle is probably dumb and lousy in the sack and Ferrari's are an overpriced, overrated pig that's unreliable and expensive to maintain!
Now I can cope with no Elle and no Ferrari!

Actually, the thread was started to liven up the forum a bit as it was starting to sag.

·
Registered
134 Posts
jpalamaro said:
I just can't understand the bad-mouthing of the GT. I will even go out on a limb and say that the 12S and 12R will become specialty bikes, perhaps like the vMax, GSXR's, etc. and that the mainstream sport touring bike for BMW will become the 12GT; and, somewhere down the line BMW will continue to be in the touring business and we will see a new LT. IMHO.
I am thinking the K12R isn't here for the long term. It doesn't seem to sell very well.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I always enjoyed Aesop's Fables. I used to tell potential customers about the Dog and the Shadow when they were hemming and hawing over a deal I had lined up for them. Always went over like a lead balloon...

The Dog and the Shadow

A dog, crossing a bridge over a stream with a piece of flesh in
his mouth, saw his own shadow in the water and took it for that
of another Dog, with a piece of meat double his own in size. He
immediately let go of his own, and fiercely attacked the other
Dog to get his larger piece from him. He thus lost both: that
which he grasped at in the water, because it was a shadow; and
his own, because the stream swept it away.

·
Registered
504 Posts
ChrisH said:
I am thinking the K12R isn't here for the long term. It doesn't seem to sell very well.
My dealer is having no trouble selling all the K12Rs he can get. No problem selling the 1200ST either. Not many are sold but not many are made either! Same for the S etc.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My Favorite Aesop's always were the Fractured Fairy Tales

Steve_Carlton said:
I always enjoyed Aesop's Fables. I used to tell potential customers about the Dog and the Shadow when they were hemming and hawing over a deal I had lined up for them. Always went over like a lead balloon...

The Dog and the Shadow
A dog, crossing a bridge over a stream with a piece of flesh in
his mouth, saw his own shadow in the water and took it for that
of another Dog, with a piece of meat double his own in size. He
immediately let go of his own, and fiercely attacked the other
Dog to get his larger piece from him. He thus lost both: that
which he grasped at in the water, because it was a shadow; and
his own, because the stream swept it away.
I think the Fractured Fairy Tales were part of Rocky & Bullwinkle series, took a twist on Aesop and somewhat followed more of a "pretzel" logic. Would have most likely said sour grapes make vinegar which is anything but sweet but useful for making salad dressing.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still Have Not Learned

As I said earlier was meant to 'liven' up things; not sure if it achieved this. But, interesting comments anyway.

I was an IBM computer salesman in an earlier life and one of my career moves was sales training for new sales personnel. Many sales people wanted to use metaphors and analogies as part of their sales techniques, including myself. We always discouraged this mode of selling in that (ask me how I know) in that it seems that for every metaphor, fable, analogy used to support one way of thinking/selling, the customer would come up with a very good NEUTRALIZING story which most often left you in worse shape than before in the sales cycle. E.G. WENT OVER LIKE A LEAD BALLOON.

Maybe I still haven't learned!

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
ChrisH said:
My dealer has sold 7 so far, and has to beg for them from other dealers since their allocation has dried up. He can't keep them in the showroom very long, yet he has 3 K1200S sitting on the floor that haven't moved in a couple months. I think we're in the slow time of the year for motorcycles (the darkest before the dawn), so I expect sales to pick up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts