BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question... Do you have to repack the following: Two Brothers, Remus Revolution, or Staintune? If so, what exactly does that entail? Is it something that can be done in my garage? What is the frequency you need to replace the packing material?

Thanks in advance!

:tim

·
Registered
133 Posts
Staintune = No, TwoBros = Yes, not sure about Remus but I'm thinking no.....repack intervals on the TwoBros can vary but expect once every 10k mi?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Nope on the Remus...

FYI.. They recommend every 10K, just like oil manufacturers recommend an oil change every 3K even although that is also completely unnecessary...

I'd suggest every 20K on a repack unless it gets noticeably louder. The packing, besides keeping noise level down, also keeps vibration down.

A repack job consists of drilling out the 6-10 rivits, pulling the can cover off, wrapping the packing material around the core, then putting back together. Most, if not all repack kits come with new rivits and instructiions on how to do it. Install time is about 1 hour.. a chimp could do it in 1.5.. not much to it.. Most repack kits run about $30-50 generally.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

Thanks for the info guys! Pirate will be getting a call as soon as I can pry the credit card out of the wifes hand...

:ricky

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just to add to Pirates comments, prior to driling you should either use shrink rap or paint masking tape to rap the pipe. This will prevent slipage damage with the drill.

To know if you need repacking take the pipe off (when you put the bike away for winter) shake it like your preparing a martini. If the core moves you need repacking.

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts