BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here run the aftermarket mirror/LED turn signal units like you see on fleabay ? I would assume since you don't remove the stockers and their "draw" on the electrical system there probably just add-ons without too much electrical issue. Give me your input.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had those turn signals installed (by myself). No electrical issues. Just hooked them to the to the original turn signal wire.
They look great and more modern.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
What do you think of the mirrors themselves? Do they degrade or improve rearward view compared with the original mirrors, or are they functionally the same?

The mirrors on a loaner BMW F650GS (single cylinder) motorcycle have a similar "angular" shape to the mirrors shown by Andres. The ones on the F650GS are stylish and useable, but not as practical in terms of the rearward view they display. I wonder whether Andres' K1200GT aftermarket mirrors have similar limitations.

I like the BMW original mirrors that came on my K1200GT. Their position, quality, lack of vibration, and wide field of view are major plusses. One significant reason why I chose a K1200GT over the very similar R1200RT was the position of the mirrors on the K1200GT. I did not like the "down low" position of the RT's mirrors. Living in urban Southern California, I use my mirrors a lot.

By far the worst mirrors I ever saw were on a Ducati. It was effectively impossible to squeeze my elbows in tight enough to avoid having my arms block the rear view. I was told later by a Ducati salesperson that the mirrors are just for regulatory compliance for street legal bikes, but they are intended for racing. He commented dryly that if you are riding that Ducati on the street, everything is behind you and fading away quickly.

By the way, the factory mirrors on the K1200/1300GT are the same width as the side cases. I do not know whether it was designed that way or just fortunate happenstance, but knowing that they are the same width helps when splitting lanes in California. You can use the mirrors as a "heads-up" way to judge the gaps, and be confident that your side cases won't bump other vehicles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
What do you think of the mirrors themselves? Do they degrade or improve rearward view compared with the original mirrors, or are they functionally the same?
I wonder whether Andres' K1200GT aftermarket mirrors have similar limitations.
It took a while to get used to them, but I think the get the job done.
The are wider so you can see more.

The angular shape looks great, but the led turn signals are weak.

But for the 20 dollars o so they cost, I think they are ok.

I still have the original mirrors, so if I get bored I will change them back...

Greeting from Chile.

Andrés.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts