BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a high performance aftermarket O2 sensor for the RS? 2004 model.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
NO such thing as a HP O2 sensor, they pretty much either work or not. Bosch makes the OEM one and you can save a few bucks by buying a non BMW branded one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Erik said:
NO such thing as a HP O2 sensor, they pretty much either work or not. Bosch makes the OEM one and you can save a few bucks by buying a non BMW branded one.
I was under the impression that there are O2 sensors with greater sensitivity/accuracy.

No?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
zx9rmal said:
I was under the impression that there are O2 sensors with greater sensitivity/accuracy.

No?
Bosch oxygen sensors are the best ones you can buy for accuracy. If you find anything else, I would be concerned about its accuracy.

There are no sensors for greater sensitivity. Our sensors do not have preheat, so they are only single wire only. They still need to get hot before it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,774 Posts
You're thinking about wideband 02 sensors. I don't think they'd do any good on our bikes because it'd take a computer upgrade to use the information they are capable of transmitting.

Maybe someone else can shed more light on this as I'm a relative outsider when it comes to vehicle emission electronics.
 

·
Addict
Joined
·
3,750 Posts
The Motronics ECU expects to see the characteristic from a 'Standard' 4 wire (Bosch) sensor. You can't change just the sensor for something special and expect a better result. Why would you think the sensor needs more precision for the same managed engine characteristic?

I'm using the cheaper readily available Bosch universal sensor, splicing on my original connector and have found no problems.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
voxmagna said:
I'm using the cheaper readily available Bosch universal sensor, splicing on my original connector and have found no problems.
I did the same thing and also have had no problems with it and saved about $80.00.
The wide band O2 sensor is used when your adding the new Power Commander.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
voxmagna said:
The Motronics ECU expects to see the characteristic from a 'Standard' 4 wire (Bosch) sensor. You can't change just the sensor for something special and expect a better result. Why would you think the sensor needs more precision for the same managed engine characteristic?

I'm using the cheaper readily available Bosch universal sensor, splicing on my original connector and have found no problems.
What led to your replacing the sensor? Problems with the bike or did fault code check say so?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Lucky88 said:
Bosch oxygen sensors are the best ones you can buy for accuracy. If you find anything else, I would be concerned about its accuracy.

There are no sensors for greater sensitivity. Our sensors do not have preheat, so they are only single wire only. They still need to get hot before it works.
My correction, we have preheat our late model 02 sensors. I looked at the wrong bike..:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,659 Posts
Isn't the O2 sensor considered part of the emissions system? I remember reading on the warranty booklet of my '03 that emissions related items are warranted for 6 years or so, unlimited mileage. Maybe I'm wrong, but just wanted to mention it. Those jobbers should last 100K on a car; how many miles on your bike??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
BLACK_03_K said:
Isn't the O2 sensor considered part of the emissions system? I remember reading on the warranty booklet of my '03 that emissions related items are warranted for 6 years or so, unlimited mileage. Maybe I'm wrong, but just wanted to mention it. Those jobbers should last 100K on a car; how many miles on your bike??
Oxygen sensors are considered as emission related part. California and Federal emissions warranty only covers 5 years, 18,700 miles.
 

·
Addict
Joined
·
3,750 Posts
My K's '97. A 4 wire sensor will have 2 wires for the heater and 2 for the sensor element. I had lower than expected mpg, the can always seemed to have a sooty lining (running rich) and after parking up I smelt unburned petrol vapour from the can and plugs were a bit sooty. Not good for the CAT if mixture always running rich. No performance probs though - went like a train!

I checked the switching of the original sensor with a very high impedance balanced input amp and 'scope (which is what they see on their Moditec). My sensor switching was sluggish and not switching as many cycles per minute as the Bosch replacement (all to do with stoichs and highly tech!). You can do some interesting things like look at the sensor with the motor running, whilst feeding in small bursts of propane gas via the air box - but that's not recommended for beginners!

If you suspect a serious fault with a sensor you can first check the heater continuity with an ohmeter. There are some tests you can do by heating them in yellow and blue gas flames - but you need measuring kit. Better to pay less, fit the Bosch universal and replace every 20K miles - although the newer universals are claimed to be good for 40K+

Getting the old sensor out was a real pain and you really do need to run a sensor thread tap through the hole to clean out the crap in the threads else you risk X'd threads on refitting a new sensor.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
O2 Sensor Source

Here is a good source for O2 sensors. Around $109, I think and you can get spark plugs at half price with the purchase of a sensor. Sounds like a good tune-up, fresh plugs and sensor. Just might do that for my wife's bike which has 70k on the sensor.

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/index.html

(You have to use "browse catalog" to find the sensor prices.)

Brent
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top