BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 20,000 miles on my 2015 K1300s MS. No problems so far, but I start to worry about the shocks. Many seem to have issues with them starting around this mileage, and many swear by Wilburs or Ohlins replacements. But I really like the ESA function and use it a lot. Partly for the difference between sport and comfort depending on road conditions, but partly because I ride with a passenger 25% of the time or more. I want that on-the-fly adjustment.

So - there is a way to get an aftermarket shock and have it converted to work with ESA. But how well does that all come out? And if you don't go this route, what is involved in adjusting the shock for solo, passenger, bumpy and smooth?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Personally. I like the convenience of the ESA.

However, I don't like that it only adjusts the rear shock on the bike.

I wish the front had some adjustment to it.

It seems I can never get the front and rear in harmony.

When I replace mine I'm going with Wilber's front and rear so I will have adjustment capabilities.

JMHO

·
Registered
366 Posts
Personally. I like the convenience of the ESA. However, I don't like that it only adjusts the rear shock on the bike. I wish the front had some adjustment to it. JMHO
The front shock does have damping adjustment. It just doesn't pump up like the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
The front shock does have damping adjustment. It just doesn't pump up like the rear.
Hmm.

I can't seem to tell much difference between the three modes (for the front suspension).

Hell, for all I know it may not even be working! LOL

However, if it weren't I would presume my dash would be lit up or a code would show on the GS 911???

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't know if you would get a code, but the shock would be leaking if it was bad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shock not leaking so I must be OK.

Thanks.
Hey Ducman and phxazcraig. I changed my ESA shocks at about 90000km. They weren’t leaking but when I fitted the Wilbers the difference was amazing. The only reason I did change them was that I was gifted the Wilbers. I think the reason I noticed such a difference is because the oil in the shocks degrades losing it damping qualities but it happens over time making it hard to notice. I think a good guide is if you can notice the difference between the ESA settings. (And they’re not leaking)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts