BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I followed with great interest the "fettle" fix Nexus-6 devised for the high idle and bucking bronco syndrome (BBS) some of us have experienced with our K1200GTs. The problem is apparently caused by a sticking idle control valve (ICV) that attaches to the underside of the air box. In short, Nexus-6 sanded the surface of the orifice inside the distribution cap to remove high spots where they appeared to interfere with easy up and own movement of the ICD plunger, and then lubricated the distribution cap and plunger with Mobil 1 synthetic grease and 3-in-1 oil.

The "fettle" fix sounded great... until Nexus-6 posted in January 2008 that the fix didn't last.

I'm wondering if others tried the same fix and, if so, what your results were. I'm asking because I was surprised that Nexus-6 lubricated the orifice and the plunger of the ICD -- it seems it could get sticky over time causing the ICD to hang up -- pics of removed ICDs show deposits on the sides of the plunger where it moves up and down in the orifice of the cap.

I apologize if this has been addressed before - I found only one thread since January 2008 where BSA250 asked about the fettle fix, but didn't report any results. It appears that folks have installed the updated airbox and ICV once it came out.

I've experienced high idle and BBS on my 2007 K12GT twice now, so I decided to try a variation of the "quick fix" described by Nexus-6 in post #6), using Seafoam cleaner/lube instead of oil. I accessed the ICV through the air box and sprayed Seafoam Cleaner and Lube into the orifice multiple times while turning the ignition on and off to activate the plunger. I used Seafoam because it designed to remove deposits in fuel systems and combustion chambers, and leaves behind a lubricating film which presumably doesn't create deposits or stickiness. So far I haven't had a recurrence of problems.

So... has anyone else tried the "fettle" fix or something similar? I'm particularly interested in long-term results: How long did it last? How many miles have you ridden problem free? A current and satisfied owner of a K1200GT wants to know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't believe it -- has no one else tried the "fettle?" Do you just live with high idle and BBS? Do you replace the airbox and ICV? Sell the bike?

The Seafoam "temporary fix" seems do do the trick. If I need to do it again I'll mount the long spray tube through the top of my airbox and direct it into the bore where the ICV sits, so all I'll have to do in the future is remove the battery cover, attach the spray tube to the Seafoam can and give it a few squirts.

·
IBR# 366
3,185 Posts
Honestly, most of us dealt with this issue more than a decade ago when these bikes were new and popular.

The fettle was developed by some mechanically handy owners before BMW had a solution.

Since then, the updated BMW airboxes have worked just fine.

On my '07 K12GT, I got the updated BMW airbox under warranty.

The problem never existed on my '09 K13GT, so like most owners I've long since moved on from this issue.

So you can either order a replacement airbox and ICV from BMW (I don't think I'd trust a used one to be correct), or you can do the fettle yourself and save some cash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Meese. Yes, I'm late to this dance, but I was hoping to hear of any long term results with the fettle. I guess most who tried it have long since moved on.

·
IBR# 366
3,185 Posts
The fact that nobody really talks about it anymore means that it's been solved for most owners.

If you believe it's just deposits building up over time, then Sea Foam or equivalent cleaners should work.

If you believe it's a warpage or misalignment, then the fettle may provide mechanical clearance.

Or trust that BMW had eventually engineered a proper solution, and just replace the affected parts.

Choose whatever path works best for you based on your money and time budgets...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts