BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

During my first slow and way too short ride yesterday, I played around with everything on the bike. One thing that I noticed was that the brakes didn't feel as "sharp" as I had hoped them to feel. I also did a few pumps, about 3 to be more precise, and the brakes firmed up a bit - nothing remarkable, but the lever did definately not come as close to the bar as during the initial braking...

I'm quite familiar with air in brake hoses, and I know this is a typical syndrome of air in the system. However, before I start to a) mess with my dealer OR b) mess with the brakes - could someone, with a non-abs bike, have a quick check to see that tihs isn't some BMW peculiar behaviour... :p

Oh, and has anyone here bled their brakes on a K1200? :confused:

Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
209 Posts
TheJoker said:
Guys,

During my first slow and way too short ride yesterday, I played around with everything on the bike. One thing that I noticed was that the brakes didn't feel as "sharp" as I had hoped them to feel. I also did a few pumps, about 3 to be more precise, and the brakes firmed up a bit - nothing remarkable, but the lever did definately not come as close to the bar as during the initial braking...

I'm quite familiar with air in brake hoses, and I know this is a typical syndrome of air in the system. However, before I start to a) mess with my dealer OR b) mess with the brakes - could someone, with a non-abs bike, have a quick check to see that tihs isn't some BMW peculiar behaviour... :p

Oh, and has anyone here bled their brakes on a K1200? :confused:

Thanks! :cool:
Just checked mine. It's non-ABS. It's not doing that. It does sound like air to me.

You may have chosen the non-ABS model in hopes that you had better feel at the lever (and a bike that weighed 20lbs less). I did. Knowing that you also had a GS, which I also have, I would think you should be able to tell the difference in feel. I do. When I REALLY push my GS in the canyons I turn off the ABS. Your R should feel slightly better than the GS without the ABS on although it seems to have a little less initial bite. That's my impression. If it doesn't there could be some air in the lines.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Air

I am beginning to think my dealer's service bay did me poorly on delivery. Brakes have never been as 'biting' as I had on the EVO non-ABS 1150GS nor the EVO ABS 1150R. Found the rear brake fluid low in the container and when checked front, it was also low. No evidence of leaks. Maybe adjustments necessary at 6K services....maybe a full flush.

Still, I can stop well and modulate these brakes (non-ABS K1200R) fine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
camfarm said:
Found the rear brake fluid low in the container and when checked front, it was also low. No evidence of leaks.
I've read a couple of posts about this with the back brake. I haven't been low on fluid but the back brake is all but useless except at stops. There's no bite back there for me at all. My GS and ST don't seem to have this problem. Not sure why they didn't give a better back brake to this bike.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that NakedRider - I just came in from the garage after fitting my RAM holder for the eTrex Legend C and the Geodesy Speed Cam detector... I was squeezing the brakes and tried to see if there's any difference, and I couldn't feel any difference between the squeezes... :rolleyes:

Maybe I should give it a bit of time and see - the roads were awfully slippery yesterday so I took it very easy...

Thanks again!

PS, back brake seemed fine, the little I used it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts