BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I have my intermittent instrument electrical issues resolved, I got to actually ride the bike these past weeks and lo and behold I was running along in the lovely 80+ temperatures enjoying the sheer joy of 150+ hp when I came to a stop light and started to shift down and noticed my idle was at 2000 rpm. Moving off after the light, upshifting was miserable as the engine raced, making the gearbox even clunkier than usual.

At this point I recalled that when last ridden long enough to actually get hot this 2008 GT, built in late 2007, has the old crappy airbox and idle control device, which heats up, warps and jams, preventing the idle from falling freely.

Last week I ordered the new improved airbox, haviing tried unsuccessfully to "fettle" the idle control device with some sandpaper to no avail.

Received the new airbox today, and found out that I needed to also order the new improved idle control device, as it has been upgraded too to fit the new airbox. Parts guy didn't mention it and I wrongly assumed it would come with the airbox. Don't believe everything you read on the internet......

Ordered the idle control device and it will be here in a few days. So, $350 for the air box and $150 for the idle control valve.....

I look forward to running the bike long enough for the Final Drive to detonate :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a few shots of what the new airbox and idle control device look like. Both are modified, the airbox with a new hole and the idle control device completely re-engineered with some metal and a gasket. The whole assembly looks much more robust and as you all have heard by now, if your old early generation (2005, 6, and 7) airbox is causing a fast idle when it gets hot (!) this will fix it. I hope. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow when I install.

Pics:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Airbox installed with new idle control device. Works like a charm. No more high idle when hot. Nice smooth idle helps with low speed behavior.

A win :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Any side-by-side pics of the air boxes? Why did yours need it with it being an 08? I thought the issue was fixed by then.

Nevermind, I see you say it was a late 07 build.. did the part numbers change?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
moymurfs said:
Any side-by-side pics of the air boxes? Why did yours need it with it being an 08? I thought the issue was fixed by then.

Nevermind, I see you say it was a late 07 build.. did the part numbers change?
Yes the part number has changed several times until they got it right.

If I had taken action earlier this would have been a warranty fix.....airbox, idle control valve and software upgrade per BMW bulletin.

I don't have pics of the old box, the only significant visible change is the hole where the new idle control device inserts. It is wider, deeper and stronger looking. The idle control device is a lot heftier, I see metal in there, and it has a nice thick rubber o ring gasket. The entire airbox feels more substantial, maybe thicker plastic material. It came with new air horn/velocity stacks installed in the box with new rubber adapter mounts for to the throttle bodies.

Bike is idling beautifully at all temps now. Wish I did this years ago, just never enjoyed the bike once hot around town. Now fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lhendrick said:
Last week I ordered the new improved airbox, having tried unsuccessfully to "fettle" the idle control device with some sandpaper to no avail.
I was wondering if you could share where you ordered the new improved airbox from and what was the cost. Appreciate it. Thank You.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
DrAGen said:
I was wondering if you could share where you ordered the new improved airbox from and what was the cost. Appreciate it. Thank You.

Sure thing. MaxBMW: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51588&rnd=04282014

I did show the prices for the parts on my original post up on top of this thread.

Airbox..................$358
Idle control valve $143

You need part number 1 on each of these diagram.

I also recommend getting 4 new screw type hose clamps for the air horn to throttle body junctions because the ones that came with my bike were very difficult to secure once removed. The new ones are shown on the airbox diagram

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, awesome reply, many many thanks. I have a 2006 K1200GT with twitchy throttle issues which bothers me a lot. I am going to order these parts and try to do it myself :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
After spending $560 and waiting two weeks, I finally received my new airbox and the idle control device :xcheer: Here are some side by side pictures.

Comments, suggestions, things to watch while putting things back together are greatly appreciated :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another side by side with all parts ordered...
I transfered two rubber mountings, the SLS valve, and the air temperature sensor from the old box to the new one.
Installed the new idle control device on the new airbox.
Next to the new airbox are 4 new hose clamps, air filter and a small hose clamp:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DrAGen said:
After spending $560 and waiting two weeks, I finally received my new airbox and the idle control device :xcheer: Here are some side by side pictures.

Comments, suggestions, things to watch while putting things back together are greatly appreciated :dunno:
A very small amount of lube on the inside lip of the rubbers where they contact the throttle bodies makes for easier assembly. You will feel them pop into place if you press down firmly on the air box.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well thanks to the both of you for your pics and info. It is pretty easy to spot the updated air boxes over the old ones...Soooo, I scored a take-off updated box on fleabay that also has the updated idle control unit in it for ................$40. I now have the bike all apart.....again, just waiting for the brown truck. ;) May still order the new screw-type clamps...I hate those snap-lock clamps.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent Flea-Bay Find.
+1 on the new clamps, the oem clamps almost made me swear.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My update:

As mentioned above, I found an updated air box equipped with the updated idle control and stripped the bike down to install them. I finally ran the bike to work (outside temp was about 78) and it runs great. No hanging high idle, no lurching. The idle always dropped down and remained steady at traffic lights and the dreaded bridge opening. and yes, GET THE NEW CLAMPS ! They make reassembly very easy. Spray silicone is a blessing also :teeth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently bought a used 07 K1200GT. Been a bucking bronco, and all the other throttle issues that have been described. I am not a fix it myself guy (i just tear apart and that usually the end of it) So having BMW do updated airbox and firmware update. Hoping it solves the problem. This thing is no fun to drive in traffic otherwise!

Reading the above posts gives me hope..

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
JWD_07_K1200GT said:
Recently bought a used 07 K1200GT. Been a bucking bronco, and all the other throttle issues that have been described. I am not a fix it myself guy (i just tear apart and that usually the end of it) So having BMW do updated airbox and firmware update. Hoping it solves the problem. This thing is no fun to drive in traffic otherwise!

Reading the above posts gives me hope..
Good luck! For me, it solved the major problems, but do not expect absolute smoothness and perfection. There is still a noticeable loss of power around 3000-3500 RPM, and lack of smoothness at parking lot speeds. The bike was much more ridable after the airbox fix, with all the major BBS issues resolved.

I installed a PowerFRK to try and smooth out the parking lot issues - I did not notice any significant difference. I would not waste money on a PowerFRK. Even though it costs hundreds, I have a feeling it has only $10 worth of parts.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
XMagnaRider said:
Good luck! For me, it solved the major problems, but do not expect absolute smoothness and perfection. There is still a noticeable loss of power around 3000-3500 RPM, and lack of smoothness at parking lot speeds. The bike was much more ridable after the airbox fix, with all the major BBS issues resolved.

I installed a PowerFRK to try and smooth out the parking lot issues - I did not notice any significant difference. I would not waste money on a PowerFRK. Even though it costs hundreds, I have a feeling it has only $10 worth of parts.
My airbox fix did STOP the fast idle when hot issue, which threatened to kill me a few times at stoplights. Bike is also much smoother around town. As others have mentioned, there are also a number of software updates that can/should/might be applied by dealer to deal with low rpm fueling issues.

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
krider316 said:
I have a 06 GT that I've ben having stalling problems with. Do you think that this air box could have anything to do with it.
No.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, Airbox replaced, latest software updated. Better, BUT, as mentioned earlier, still crap, lurchy, laggy at slow speed, in traffic, stop and go etc. What's the deal! BMW dealer here in Seattle test drove after airbox/software, said it's fine. Is the best it gets?? I bought this used, but with this experience i would never buy a new one if this is the best they can do. frustrated. Tired of taking to the shop. Should of got a Honda....,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts