BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, have '04 GT with only 3400 miles on it (and loving it!!). Any advantage to replacing stock air filter with a K&N filter? If I do, will sensor automatically recalibrate? Also, ideas on better spark plugs than stock?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
No advantage on performance....and from what I have seen from others,the BIG disadvantage of finding fine dust/dirt at the bottom of the air box. Also the PITA of removing plastic and tank to maintain it. :(
The OEM can easily go well past the recommended milleage for replacement, depending on riding conditions. What I have done on my bike is screening the air intake, I am not finding bugs and dirt on top of the filter anymore, and my filter still looks like new and is well past its "recommended "replacement. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a K&N and go back and forth whether I use it or not. The bike is a tad more responsive in some areas of the power curve, but then again, it is also more sensitive to throttle management because it seems to be running leaner. I prefer stock filter, and it is easier to remove and replace, but I live a ways from my dealer, so it is sometimes more convenient to clean and reinstall the K&N. Have not had any issues with stuff downstream. I have the Rhinewest cam gear and chip kit. The K&N tends to negate some of the benefits of the Rhinewest chip, though I have not experienced backfiring like some guys have with this combination. But Pirate's Lair and Rhinewest both recommend the stock filter as I understand. Again, I prefer the stock air filter, especially for smoother throttle control in the twisties. So, it is not a real world performance enhancement. A new chip is a way better investment for that, way better than an aftermarket exhaust, too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think the advice on leaving it be is good advice unless you want to get really good at pulling the tank to service the K&N. I don't have anything against the K&N filter, just the PIA factor of getting to it on the GT.

The last thing you'd want to do is put a K&N in there and then get lazy about maintaining it due to the hassle.

Just my $0.02 worth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts