BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a pair of used sport cases for my 2015 motorsport edition with the Akropovic exhaust but it seems like the right case won't mount properly, the shape of the silencer doesn't seem to match the cutout on the case. Has anyone else experienced this? Or found away around it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine fit the Akra just fine (same model, same year as yours, not that it makes any difference!). If you post up a couple of pictures, we can compare pannier shapes, and can positions on the bikes, to see where the problem is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have two right-side cases and they both can't be mounted per the interference with the Akro silencer per the pics below. Nothing seems bent or misaligned from what I can tell but added a measurement between the bottom rail and the pipe if that helps. Let me know if I can measure something else. Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the dealer mount mine, and he had a typical problem of the pressed-in nuts spinning in the subframe when mounting the hardware. Ended up a warranty fix that took two hours. Here's what mine look like:

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK, my rail-Akra gap is 50mm, so that's a main difference.
Some possibilities:
  • Akra is too high (not really possible?)
  • rail is bent
  • rail is incorrectly mounted to the sub-frame

From your pictures, the Akra is only touching in one place, so I'd hazard a guess that the rail is bent down slightly lower than it should be. But if they're genuine BMW ones, they're not easily bent (for obvious reasons).

Apols for the grubbiness - it's been raining for past 3 days!

Clear across the can, by approx 10-15mm:
1.jpg

50mm gap between rail and Akra:
2.jpg

Underseat shot showing rails going into sub-frame, in case yours is mounted differently:
3.jpg

Rail and Akra from the side:
4.jpg

Happy to do more pics/measurements, or larger pics, if you need extra detail. Might even clean the bike. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks for the great shots and helpful measurements. I now have something to check against. I'll update when I figure it out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks like you need to twist the silencer a little clockwise to me. Richtea pictures look like the silencer is more straight up and down and yours is twisted to the left of vertical.
du907

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks like you need to twist the silencer a little clockwise to me. Richtea pictures look like the silencer is more straight up and down and yours is twisted to the left of vertical.
du907
I think you are correct. Looks like a simple twist would give most if not all the expected clearance.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
477 Posts
The offending can is also much closer to the wheel rim.

Reactions: Seeeu911

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went back and looked at the pictures. The can appears to be solidly mounted to the mounting tab (as opposed to a strap which could be rotated).

And then I saw it !!
it's out of focus, but it looks like the offending can is mounted with the mounting tab on the inside of the bracket, while the correct can is mounted on the outside.

This looks to be enough to cause the twist that is being experienced.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
429 Posts
I went back and looked at the pictures. The can appears to be solidly mounted to the mounting tab (as opposed to a strap which could be rotated).
Good eye!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Couldn't have done it without you. I missed the twist, and when that was pointed out, I looked for the strap ala Remus etc. Then when I saw it was a fixed bracket, it clicked.
(Having done something similar myself putting back on my own exhaust and wondering why it didn't fit :) )

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue when my bike came back from a rear drive repair,the exhaust was way to close to the back wheel,turned out the shop mounted the rear pipe on the inside of the bracket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts