BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello
I got rear ended at a stop by a riding partner. Nothing serious, but enough to get a new right side case assly, tail light lens, right upper and lower fairing and the muffler. I have the choice to replace the muffler by an OEM or an Akrapovic. I had the opportunity to have a look at a k13gt with this pipe and to listen to it. Oh boy! The sound is pretty nice, low tone rumble, and lighter and the last but not least a 5-7% incerase torque/hp at mid range.

It seems also that it may be necessary to repack the Akras after a while. Can I get infos on how long between repacking it and the where and how much for a kit?

But I'm the conservative type and would like to know before making my decision, if someone can validate the upgrade? Because of the accident I have this opportunity, otherwise I only tought about it.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
440 Posts
repack's are usually done at rather long intervals, and are rather simple and cheap to accomplish. If I were you, I'd go for the akra. You'll save some weight and gain some power. However, you will gain some noise as well.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I can't "validate" the upgrade, whatever that means. I'd put the stock can back on it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GillyWI said:
"validate" ... stock can back on it.
Meaning can you recommend the change, but you answered it ... stock can back on it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Well, that's what I'd do. I like it quiet. It probably costs more than the aftermarket, but not sure. Not sure who's paying for it, but check the price, you might be better off getting the stock one back (I'd assume WAY more expensive), then if you want the aftermarket, you can buy that and save the stock one, in case a future potential buyer wants the stock muffler back.
Unsure about the increase in power, mostly these claims are made by the same people wanting to sell you the new muffler, so use proper suspicion. Sure it would be lighter.
Also the stock muffler has a crapalytic converter built in to it, not sure if that matters to you personally or to the law in your area.

Gilly

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would get the Akra, you can find used stock mufflers on Ebay for very little cash. My GT had been dumped over by the previous owner leaving a pretty nice dent in the muffler. I got a really nice replacement on ebay for $50 plus $30 for shipping. New stock muffler is over $1300. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Akra and clutch!!

Hi,
Here in Quebec a new oem muffler is 1900.00 ! The Akra is around 1300.00. I had in mind a lesser value for the bike if the akra was on . But I talked to the dealer and the stock muffler will be returned to me. It's still in decent shape, and I believe I'll be able to pop out the dent and straighten the muffler band. So after all I'll get the Akra, I'll put the difference in a clutch kit as the it started acting up, neutral hard to select and lurching forward when starting in first clutch pulled in. AT 48000 klm, it's no longer on the warranty. They don't tell you that when you buy the bike, expect to pay to put in a clutch even if the bike has one more year of warranty protection.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I like the low tone rumble of my K12S - even better with the baffle out. Your lose is sound to your ears - enjoy your K13GT - Go for it ! Just remember you still have to ride with your friend - he might not like you after you get the new bike & a Akr pipe.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a look at a K13 with the akra, and I heard it as well :D , But I would keep my K12gt and instal the akra.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts