BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mt Shasta huh-nice area. Welcome. Please no threads about oil :) -ya hadda to be there. Pass by u twice a year-well 4x's going up to Vancouver BC twice every year. Next ride is 3rd week on October. I'll honk when i ride thru.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Rich,

:nopic:

Welcome to the madhouse and to the forums here.

Just remember, buying a GT is only the beginning of a long journey where you need to have deep pockets and a understanding SO.

Plenty of knowledge here, Meese will jump in shortly...He's an expert in GT matters :p:

Cheers,

Bloke

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't be shy to use the cruise control, it has saved my bacon on many a trip .Enjoy your ride home and it might take a few days to wipe the smile from your dial.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.
Train to SF, fly to LA, taxi to bike.
I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motor sickle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I'm home, with a little over 1k miles on the bike. Now I'm a new guy.

I picked up the bike in Orange CA, getting on the road at 1530 there was plenty of traffic to deal with. Split lanes north bound on I-5 for 1.5 hrs with only one minor mishap. Damn that big ole lane bogarting Ford pickup with the wide mirrors ( just a slight little scratch on my left mirror). Once I got to Gorman the wind was a bit of a challenge with all that sail area. Nothing more throttle didn't cure. Cruised at 85-90 up to Kettleman City, the sun was starting to set and I always try to be in a chair sipping a cold one for sunsets, so.......I Best Westerned it for the night.
On the road at 0630, stopped at Anderson's for pea soup and eggs for breakfast. Rolled into Williams and ate lunch at Granzellas. Stopped in Redding, visited a friends motorcycle shop. Then raced up the canyon the last 50 miles.

Rode a few hundred miles up here in the north state the last couple of days on my favorite roads.

The seat on this K1200 GT is something to be desired. 1st order of business was to call Rick Mayer to rectofy that problem, riding in on the 18th for a new seat.
Handlebar risers on order also, that forward leaning feels a bit odd for me, too many miles on an RT I guess.
Monday I call Valentine to order another hardwire kit, no doubt I'm going to need all the help I can get in the 'I fought the law and the law won' department.

I'm a little confused as to why BMW put only one power socket on the left side. The RT has two(as in rider and passenger heated vests). Once fall comes it gets brisk up here. My wifes butt will be warm with the spiffy heated seat, but no plug for her vest is going to be a problem.

This bike is smooth, and has plenty of power, even the torque at freeway speeds is impressive. I'm happy I live where the roads are open and in good condition. The bike will enjoy life up here.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
RichM752 said:
OK I'm home, with a little over 1k miles on the bike. Now I'm a new guy.

I'm a little confused as to why BMW put only one power socket on the left side. The RT has two(as in rider and passenger heated vests). Once fall comes it gets brisk up here. My wifes butt will be warm with the spiffy heated seat, but no plug for her vest is going to be a problem.

Install a second fused socket wired to the battery for your electric heated clothing. The original (Canbus) socket cannot handle more than a heated vest. It has a limitation of 5 amps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts