BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello k-bike world, this is my first post. i've read a lot of other threads and finally decided to take the plunge. anyway, i'm in the process of making my 88 k75c into a cafe racer and i want to know if there is a way to replace the speedo/tach with a better looking less bulky one. i know there are much needed warning lights on the oem one but maybe i could still keep those some other way. any help/ideas is appreciated.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,351 Posts
http://trailtech.net/computers.html

BTW, one component on the factory cluster is the gear indicator circuitry that allows you to start the bike while in neutral. If you're going to replace the cluster then I'd recommend emulating that with a series of three relays is series hooked up to the gear position indicator switch on the transmission.

·
Registered
71 Posts
very cool technology

Make sure you post pictures, cafe racer style bikes rock but there are very few good K bike examples to be found (so far;) The tank and engine are great for it, rims are a slight problem not having spokes. It wouldn't be cheap but check out this product line for a completely different approach to the instrument problem http://www.starlane.com/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all good stuff guys, thanks. FD i assume if i decided not to do the relay thing then i could still start the bike in 1st with the clutch engaged right? actually it sounds like a fun electrical project anyway. TR, my wallet jumped out of my pocket and ran away when i looked at those speedos. oh, and i will definitely be posting before and afters when it gets farther towards done (it will never really be done). its not going to be a traditional cafe racer, really just going for a stripped down one-up rider with little custom touches everywhere.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,351 Posts
I'd do the neutral relay thing because clutch switches do fail. I suppose if it did though you could just cut the wires to the clutch switch and short them to each other to get the bike started.

Since the cluster only powers the starter relay then you wouldn't need 3 20A automotive relays and you could get away with using smaller, cheaper 12V PCB (printed circuit board) relays. That's what I use for low load stuff that I put on my bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dude, you're the guy thats doing the k75f? i just stumbled onto that thread on advriders today. didnt get to read it all though. what a great project. didnt look at the date, are you done or was that pretty recent?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so I contacted Mr. Romestant of SpecialKs.net on how to replace those damn ugly gauges, unfortunately he only wanted to sell me a plug and play kit which when I asked how much he didnt reply...so I'm calling on the great minds of the k-bike forum world for sage advice. Does anyone know how to wire in aftermarket gauges? Please!, they are so ugly!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I don't know....but you may want to go check with the inmates on ADVRider, lots of them running alternative gauges and such.The search function over there sucks but post it in the Road Warriors forum , they won't be too hard on the noob. Post pics, they sure like Caferacers. :clap:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool Duck, yeah I finished reading that thread shortly after I posted that. Awesome job :clap: , I learned a lot more about my k75 by watching that build and have saved it for future reference. I have been on the road working for a month and can't wait to get home and start making mods. So, as soon as that happens there will be pics. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts