BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock RS mirrors on my 04 K12RS. I'm not a huge person, but the inside 1/3 of the mirror is my shoulders if I want to see less than a 100 feet behind me. Also, they blur beyond usefulness at about 80 mph.

I've seen a set of fairing mounted mirrors from Verholen (MV Motorrad) that see like they would fit the bill. I've also seen some aluminum ones from Wunderlich. I seem to recall fairing mounted mirrors from one or more of the R-bikes could be used.

Does anyone have any experience with alternatives to these fun house mirrors?

Thanks,
Allan

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mirrors Verholen

Verholen makes a set of fairing mounted mirrors that have extra bracing behind the fairing. They are just like the mirrors on the R1150 S. They send a template for drilling the holes, and are not to bad to install. Just make sure when you order them you tell them you want directions in English, unless of course, you speak German. There were several pictures posted on the old site, and I'm sure someone can post a picture of theirs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the MV Motorad Mirrors on my GT. Great upgrade. I was also concerned about vibration and potential damage to the fairing. The only time there is any vibration is when you are stopped at idle. As soon as the bike is moving the vibration stops. The mount is reinforced with a lot of aluminum. It's a heavy - duty well engineered/fabricated add on. The thought of really drilling holes in my bike was almost a non-starter for me here.... However, I must say that they look great. There is no vibration at speed. I am confident that the add-on will no cause damage to my bike. Plus... The view back is excellent. No blind spots at all. Field of vision in each mirror has at least doubled. I am glad I put these on.
Good luck.
MG

·
Registered
193 Posts
Allan, if you want to change your mirrors then you'll change them and that's great. But I've gotta wonder if something else is amiss. I'm not slim (6-2, XL jacket) but never had a problem with the rearview, or vibration for that matter, on an 03-RS. In fact I often considered them the best mirrors on the market (YMMV). Ducati have to have the worst. Just surprised at your description.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Allan said:
I have the stock RS mirrors on my 04 K12RS. I'm not a huge person, but the inside 1/3 of the mirror is my shoulders if I want to see less than a 100 feet behind me. Also, they blur beyond usefulness at about 80 mph.

I've seen a set of fairing mounted mirrors from Verholen (MV Motorrad) that see like they would fit the bill. I've also seen some aluminum ones from Wunderlich. I seem to recall fairing mounted mirrors from one or more of the R-bikes could be used.

Does anyone have any experience with alternatives to these fun house mirrors?

Thanks,
Allan

I had fairing mounted mirrors on my FJ 1200 and when I bought the K12RS I felt blinded. Sticking them out on the fairing gives a much better field of view...If you use a cover it presents some problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have Verholen mirrors on my 98' KRS. I love them. The difference for me is that they are in my field of vision while riding and looking up the road. The stock mirrors forced me to slightly turn my head to see them. The chin of my helmet blocked the mirrors. The field of view with the Verholen mirrors is slightly better than stock(round)mirrors. There was no vibration problem with my old mirrors, and the Verholens are smooth and clear once above idle.
Someone also makes replacement glass/mirrors that are slightly convex. This gives a broader rear view. Do not remember the name or source, but they are available.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fairing mounted mirrors

I've got the Verholen's on my '04 RS. I love the end result, but the included brackets didn't fit properly (yes, I used the template to drill the holes). After a few hours of swearing and dremel tooling the brackets, it worked. I've heard others had no issues.

I absolutely hate bar mounted mirrors. I feel they are unsafe, as one must turn their head to look behind. Fairing mounted mirrors only require quick eye movements. Why BMW put bar mounts on a $17k bike I'll never understand.

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Randy, do you run those Multivex Mirrors? How are they?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bill,

No, I have not used these. When I first got my RS a year ago all I could see was myself in the mirrors without leaning out of the way. I investigated and really like ther Verholen idea but decided to cheap out and put up with it.

One of the items I discovered during my research was the Multivex. It sounded interesting, but, I decided I would not like the small amount of distortion they cause. Other members have raved about them. The company was real cooperative....try them out using painters tape....if you don't like them, send the m back.

Since then I have learned to adjust them right or something because it isn't an issue any more! Still would like the Verholen.

Randy

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Looks like the Multivex doesn't help you see better directly behind you...looks like it helps only the outside blind spots.....looks like you would see even more of yourself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
milkman said:
Looks like the Multivex doesn't help you see better directly behind you...looks like it helps only the outside blind spots.....looks like you would see even more of yourself.
:eek:

I phoned one member back then and he told me they worked great and that, if adjusted correctly, you do see better behind you. I have no idea!

Randy

·
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.
2,029 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts