BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone calculated the capacity for add-ons (heated clothing, aux lights, bling and electronic farkles) after the basic load on this reduced size alternator. I expect the CANBUS permits the lower rated alternator when compared to the KRS's high wattage capacity but what's left for us to use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The system seems to show strain when additional current is needed. The charging system has less capacity than my rts. I have noticed reduced current when stopped on an incline for extended periods (brakes use LOTS of power). I changed my radar detector's display to show voltage; confirming load response. The draw from cycling the grips takes several seconds to recover.

Seems strange given the electrical advances and power available the system is so variable. The ABS must not be as sensitive as the rts, as it would have never worked under these conditions. I have not had any indication that the variations are causing problems elsewhere.

My detector is the only electrical addition I have made.

Scott C.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Smaller alternator means less weight

Weight loss was obviously a major goal for the K12S & R. Bolts are smaller throughout the bike & the alternator is smaller.

BMW could have made the K12S w/ a big alternator and could have thrown on big bags & a big tail trunk. However, that's not the primary goal of the bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts