BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the seal behind the alternator dog about a year ago and just found out that it is still leaking. The seal is installed facing the correct direction, flat side out, sealing lip in. It is a small leak and am fairly certain that it is coming past the outer edge of the seal. I removed the old seal and the sealing surface on the intermediate housing seems ok. No scratches or anything. When I looked at the removed seal I could see that there was oil around the outer edge of the seal, the inner teflon lip was dry. I know that when I put the last seal in there was no oil contaminating the mating surface because I had the intermediate housing off the engine and it was totally clean.

I am getting ready to install the new seal but I am nervous about putting it in without finding the cause of the problem or at leas changing anything from the last atempt. I am thinking of adding some sealant on top of the blue goo that is on the seal. Or maybe just adding a light ring of sealant to the flange surface. Does anyone have an opinion on that? Or any better recommendation?

I found a mention of an o-ring that goes on the splined shaft that the dog mounts onto. The post said that this is not in the bmw parts fiche but is needed to keep oil from traveling up the splines. I don't have this o-ring but I also don't have oil in the splines. I just mention it in case there is some relation to my leak that I am not understanding.

thanks

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Good question I can't really answer. But you may want to go ask the Loctite guy, he hangs around there :

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265016&page=37

and if I remember there may be mention of what you are planning with extra sealant on that long and informative thread.

And now that you mention the blue goop on there already, that may be some kind of anaerobic sealant, depending on the application and conditions they work better with their own primer/activator.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks H96669. that is an very excellent link. I not only found a pretty likely solution to this problem but I think it may have helped me solved a few more problems that are waiting in line.

For anyone looking to solve a similar issue, you should also follow the link above. But for the quick answer, 598 Black High Performance RTV silicone around the outside of the seal to lock in that oil.There is also a more involved solution but I am hopeful that this easy one will work because the leak is a very slow weep.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts