BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am thinking about and KRS to KS conversion. As I was looking at the KS specifications I noticed that the alternator size compared to my RS is much smaller. Since I am thinking about the cold weather riding in the evening I normally do, I am concerned if I can put on additional lights and keep my self warm with my gerbings will I over tax the bikes electrical system. I understand the limitation of canbus so my plan is to connect directly to the battery.

Howard

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have run the Gerbings jacket liner and gloves on my K1200S with no problem, connected directly to the battery. Am also running the BMW Navigator II, connected with factory mount and cabling.

·
Registered
290 Posts
hmeiseles said:
Hi all, I am thinking about and KRS to KS conversion. As I was looking at the KS specifications I noticed that the alternator size compared to my RS is much smaller. Since I am thinking about the cold weather riding in the evening I normally do, I am concerned if I can put on additional lights and keep my self warm with my gerbings will I over tax the bikes electrical system. I understand the limitation of canbus so my plan is to connect directly to the battery.
580 Watts is just fine. This works out to about 40 Amps at 14 volts. The standard headlight takes about 4.5 A (Xenon is less), the fuel pump takes about 3 A, the engine management system and ignition system take 10 to 15 A and other lights about 2 or 3 A continuously.

That works out to 20 to 25A max. (probably less). That leaves 15 A or more for all the other stuff. Your hand warmers take only 2-3 A, and a seat warmer a bit more. Electric vest takes about 3 to 4 amps running full-out.

Bob.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all very much. I knew someone who had a 400 watt alternator with there f650cs and was unable to run all the stuff they wanted. It looks like this alternator is small but workable.

Howard

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Razel From a logic point of view you are right but I looked at the GT I just can buy something that looks like that. The looks of the GT made me decide to buy the "S".

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts