BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, trying to replace the rear pads on my 2010 K13S. Bought EBC FA363HH cuz they were in stock and dealer site says that’s the model. Verified the pads are stamped with FA363. But I can’t get the caliper back on with the pads in place! Looks like there is a step in the caliper that ‘misaligns’ the gap between the two pads and the rotor. Is it me? Help!

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
441 Posts
Just looking on the web, I see Bobs bmw lists them for your bike. There are specific thickness specs by BMW for the backing plate. ECB are a player but aftermarket pads need to chosen carefully.
And when installing aftermarket pads, take a file and bevel the leading edge some. Helps with potential chatter. Clean the caliper pistons well with isopropyl alcohol or last resort, brake cleaner spray. Make sure they are pushed all the way back. I know BMW charges way too much for pads but they always work. Right now MAX bmw has 15% off of all parts and no sales tax.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So has anyone installed the FA363 pads from EBC? Or another model I could exchange these for. Getting conflicting information from part seller sites so looking for some first hand info. May just get a refund and pony up for the BMW pads. Thanks Beech, your riser brackets are the single BEST performance upgrade for the K13 IMO!

·
Registered
202 Posts
They fit the k1300s. And GT.

You need to have the pistons fully pushed back and the caliper need to be able to fully float on the hanger it sits from, in the front the calipers are fixed and the disc float, in the rear the caliper floats and the disc is fixed. It is not uncommon for the caliper to get stuck due to corrosion and dirt on the pins on wich it should float, take it all apart and really clean it, also the holes in the caliper.

If all is ok with the caliper it doesent even need to be taken off for replacing pad's, just remove the retaining pin, push the caliper as far as can be towards the disc to seat the pistons, pull out old pads, in with the new and the retaining pin. done.

So it sounds like your pistons are still out a bit or the caliper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They fit the k1300s. And GT.

You need to have the pistons fully pushed back and the caliper need to be able to fully float on the hanger it sits from, in the front the calipers are fixed and the disc float, in the rear the caliper floats and the disc is fixed. It is not uncommon for the caliper to get stuck due to corrosion and dirt on the pins on wich it should float, take it all apart and really clean it, also the holes in the caliper.

If all is ok with the caliper it doesent even need to be taken off for replacing pad's, just remove the retaining pin, push the caliper as far as can be towards the disc to seat the pistons, pull out old pads, in with the new and the retaining pin. done.

So it sounds like your pistons are still out a bit or the caliper.
Ahhhh... this makes sense, although it appeared at the time the caliper would interfere with the disc... will check
Out your suggestion right away. Many thanks.

·
Registered
2006 BMW k1200S
24 Posts
Not to trash on Mattias R but check the reservoir level before you seat the pistons. If your reservoir was filled while the pads were thin it could puke out some brake fluid. It has to go somewhere so be watchful. After you get it back together with the new pads then check and make sure your reservoir level is full.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts