BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sensor is displaced on my K1300S which tells the gauge on my dash the outside temperature. I know this because it starts out accurate and raises up to 90 degrees after the bike is hot. I need to find out where exactly this sensor is and see if I can pop it back in place. Any advice would be welcome!

· Registered
189 Posts
Correct, this is the same location on the K1300S. It's likely the sensor has dropped down next to the radiator. It should be an easy fix to get it back into place. In addition to the instrument temp readout, this sensor affects engine fueling so good to get this sorted.

· Registered
66 Posts
The outside air temperature sensor on my K1300 GT has come loose too and is down by the radiator cap. I've put it back where I think its meant to slot in, but it seems pretty "cosy" behind the electonic thingy when I snug up the panel screws. Have I got it in the right place / position?

K-Aus

· Registered
330 Posts
The outside air temperature sensor on my K1300 GT has come loose too and is down by the radiator cap. I've put it back where I think its meant to slot in, but it seems pretty "cosy" behind the electonic thingy when I snug up the panel screws. Have I got it in the right place / position?

View attachment 29216 View attachment 29217

K-Aus
Nope, it should be outside the inner cowl, by the front forks. Sorry, I tried to take a picture of it but it's too dark.

If you squat down by the front wheel, look at the left hand side inner faring, about 3" down from the air intake, and a bit back, you should see a hole. That is where it plugs in, with the sensor in clear air.

Edit,
on looking at your pictures again, you might have it plugged into the correct hole, but the wrong way around, if you know what I mean. The sensor should be outside the fairing, not inside it as you have it.

Reactions: Beech

· Registered
66 Posts
So, had the side trim off to do a minor repair and took some photos when the light was better. Shows the positioning Corkboy and I were talking about.

The image on the left is from the front of the K1300 GT SE beside the front wheel, look towards the rear, and shows the side of the suspension arm, with the right hand trim panel removed (hence the empty torx scew hole). The blue circle marks the incorrcetly fitted bracket that the ambient air termperature sensor is attached to in my image of 14 August 22. The image on the right shows the air sensor correctly fitted as per Corkboy's advice.

Not sure what the empty bracket in the yellow circle is for, but the sensor fits very nicely where I have it, safe and out of the way (in the area circled in blue).

Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Trunk Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior Bicycle part

Curiously, my fittings and positioning look nothing like that in the parts fische:

Gas Auto part Plastic Composite material Gun accessory

K-Aus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts