BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gentlemen: I am going to change my final drive oil and was wondering what weight of oil to use. Was thinking of amsol??. Also the service guy said you should change the transmition oil also, again what weight and would use amsol??. Any comments . Thanks in advance

·
Registered
26 Posts
mikemack said:
Hey Gentlemen: I am going to change my final drive oil and was wondering what weight of oil to use. Was thinking of amsol??. Also the service guy said you should change the transmition oil also, again what weight and would use amsol??. Any comments . Thanks in advance
You might want to check your Owners Manual for type and amount. As far as Amsol is conserned, the brand isn't as important as the chemical makeup. The chemical makeup should also be described in the Owners Manual.

·
IBR# 366
3,155 Posts
mikemack said:
Also the service guy said you should change the transmition oil also
Warning!

Your service guy doesn't know what he's talking about, or else you heard him wrong. The Slant/4 motor shares oil between the engine and transmission. So there is no "transmission" oil to change like on the older dry clutch Beemers.

As for the final drive oil, you should use what BMW recommends. They sell 80w90 GL5 and 75w140 synthetic with a BMW label.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1+ for Amsoil severe 75-90w. I've been using this in my F/D and transmission for over 7k now seems to actually shift a bit better than it did w/ BMW dino. FWIW.Amsoil 20-50 m/c oil for engine and this is on a 98'krs. All is well so far...I think you can't go wrong with AMSOIL! :clap:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yeah what Meese said, I was surprised this wasn't mentioned right away, that it's all common, not seperate.
I don't have an opinion on Amsoil one way or the other. I have used Spectro oil in my old Brick and seemed fine, I started using that when I found out that Spectro packaged the BMW oil, so is the same stuff, here in the US anyways.
Now I see that what BMW specifically calls for is Castrol GPS. I think this has been changed:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9025162&contentId=7046697

Gilly

·
Registered
47 Posts
Amsoil ? Never heard of it. You think I would have heard something on the sister site (LT). :popcorn:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts