BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put down the deposit on a 2007 K1200GT. I'll be driving you guys crazy with questions, but be gentle with me; I'm old and feeble.
Coming off a 2004 Goldwing 1800 and a Suzuki CL1500 (C90T). Made a brief (very brief: one month) stopover at the R1100RT; loved the bike and the handling but the seat and the riding position would be impossible on a long haul. Plus, I needed more toys and amenities. Let me know if your familiar with the '07 K12gt and are willing to mentor me into the fast lane. I'm not dumb and I work hard at this touring thing. You can check out most of my credentials at http://www.latelifebiker.com
Many thanks to anyone who can help. -llb

·
Registered
363 Posts
If the riding position on the R1100RT was not to your liking, you are really going to have trouble on a K12GT. The riding position is a bit more aggressive as far as foot peg placement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks, TF. I'll be on the lookout for that.
The Goldwing was a nice, intermediate transition from the sit-up-and-lean-back position of my C90T classic cruiser. It took me a while to appreciate that one, too (about 2,000 miles).
I'll just have to love it or leave it on the K12. I could have learned to love it on the R1100, but the abrasions to my butt by that curl-up seat were pretty "irritating."
-llb

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'll just have to love it or leave it on the K12. I could have learned to love it on the R1100, but the abrasions to my butt by that curl-up seat were pretty "irritating."
-llb
I came from a well farkled 2005 R1200RT that I rode for 10 years to a 2009 K1300GT. My first trip on the new bike was my usual Texas to California run. I left San Antonio and made it as far as El Paso before I turned around and headed back home. On the RT, I could do 900 mile days if I had too, but the seat and seating position on the 13GT killed my knees and my butt. I had to buy a new seat set, highway pegs and bar risers before it became comfortable enough for me to do long trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good feedback, TF. I hope I have better luck. Thanks.
Don't get me wrong, I love the K13GT. I just had to add a few things to make it as comfortable as my RT was. One thing I have noticed about the bike is it does move around more in high winds, especially if you have the 49L top box. the bigger side panels and the top box catch a lot of wind.

·
Registered
50 Posts
K

I too am coming from a '06 Goldwing that I put 82K miles on. I made that bike fit me like a glove and long days were a breeze. To make my new to me '09 K1300GT (I've had a '07 & '08 K1200GT also) fit me better I added and Aeroflow shield and guards, beaded seat, bar risers and Estrada Design highway footpegs. Now I'm preparing for my first long trip on this bike and I'm figuring out how to get everything packed. With the Wing I could take the kitchen sink I need to go much lighter. It's not a huge problem I just need to figure it out. BTW a beaded seat is my secret to long days in the saddle. I first thought how can sitting on wood be comfortable, but I stay cooler and don't get a sweaty butt with the beads. They also let me sit a tad higher which helps. I bought my '07 in Dallas and did a fly n ride. My brother met me at the house when I got home and asked if my knees were hurting. I said hell yes but if I was on the wing and didn't more my feet around they would be sore too. The highway pegs (yes pricey) allow me to change positions and give my 60 year old needs some relief. Next task when I get home is making a trailer hitch so I can pull my Unigo and then I can take my camping gear on a trip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
If the riding position on the R1100RT was not to your liking, you are really going to have trouble on a K12GT. The riding position is a bit more aggressive as far as foot peg placement.
I have Suburban Machinery "handlebar backs" (handlebar risers), which I recommend:

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/K1200GT6.html

Suburban Machinery also makes a footpeg lowering kit. I owned a set of these, but gave them to a friend and replaced them with the Verholen version:

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/K12GTPass.html

I have the Verholen footpeg lowering kit, which I also recommend. I removed them when I attached the "highway pegs". I prefer it over the Suburban Machinery version, because you can adjust the angle. Once set, you never bother to adjust the angle again. They cost more.

Verholen BMW K1300GT & 2006-08 K1200GT Peg Lowering Kits from Pirates' Lair at 828.628.7093 EST

I had to remove them when I purchased these "highway pegs", which I also recommend:

https://www.facebook.com/EstradaDesignVentures/

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have the Estrada Design pegs also (yeah, they were pricey but necessary). I also use the Suburban Machinery lowering pegs modified as per Ken's instructions and the SM bar-backs. I also bought a spare brake pedal and bent it down close to 1-1/2" to make up for the lowering pegs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
long timer

Like XMagnaRider I've had the K1200GT since new in 2007 and added the Suburban bar back and Surbuban peg lowering kits. Liked the bar backs but didn't like the peg lowering kit and took it off. Still have peg lowering kit, I'd give it up if anyone wants it.

Another important fix was the improved hydraulic chain tightening thing and the jump guard, both ESSENTIAL to have installed. The jump guard ended up being a "recall" for free but I'd already done it. Heard about it here first. Hopefully yours had that done. Check with dealer to see if its current on all recalls/bulletins. There have been several, wheel rear flange and fuel pump come to mind.

I have a Russell Day-Long saddle and its much better but slides me forward, wish I could have driven in to their shop (in CA) and had it custom built. I went to Riches Seats (near Seattle) for a custom saddle for my '16 GSA last year and like it.

The Aeroflow windshield and Aero guards are a vast improvement over stock.

Added a fuse block for GPS, tankbag, Gerbing controller and misc. power. The Odyssey (PC680) has been in the bike since May 2010 and still strong.

I've used several different tires, Avon Storm 2 Ultra and Michelin Pilot Road 3 (PR4GT on it now). The Michelin gave 8,000 miles plus and there are newer versions now. I have over 50,000 miles on the K with several trips south (I'm in Alaska) to the east coast to attend Barber Vintage festival in Oct. (you must go someday) and MOA.

Enough for now. Be sure to ask questions, there's a lot of hard-won experience in these threads.
David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LDM: I would very much appreciate it if you would elaborate on your AerFlow experience on the K1200GT.
In order to combat turbulence and wind noise, I have just invested $700 in a Shoei NeoTech2, only to find out I have to invest another 300 bucks to equip it with the unique Shoei version of the Sena Bluetooth system.
I'm still in a position to return the helmet if you think I'll get much riding comfort out of a $400 AerFlow. Your honest critique would be a big help. Also, please assess the value of the AerFlow guards.
Like you, I'm trying very hard not to miss my Wing. But my 76-year-old knees were complaining about the weight of a fully loaded camping bike.
Please let me know soonest... the return window on my Shoei will close in a wekk or so.
Regards from Atlanta. -llb

·
Registered
363 Posts
In order to combat turbulence and wind noise, I have just invested $700 in a Shoei NeoTech2, only to find out I have to invest another 300 bucks to equip it with the unique Shoei version of the Sena Bluetooth system.
If you have a Sena system now, send your helmet back and get a standard Neotec. I went from a Schuberth C3 to a Neotec and found the Shoei to be a better helmet in regard to wind noise and ventilation. These folks have the Neotec for $489.00 - LINK

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can buy aftermarket foot pegs to lower your foot position. I have done this and enjoyed the change. The '07 K1200GT comes with some quirks, but its engine is amazing. Too bad the clutch and final drive have trouble keeping up. Having a Barnett clutch pack installed next week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 06 K1200GT that has had a clunk going into second from day one. I had the clutch replaced and thought that would take care of it. Nope! Now third had the same clunk but not as bad. Dealer said it was find to do that. It shakes the wind shield when it goes into second. 4th, 5th. and 6th-perfect. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI atimebandit, That's pretty much standard. I have a 2008 model and same thing. They are renown for it. Some days on mine it sounds like the gearbox will fall out ( even noisier than a Harley clunk ! ) . 2,3,and 4th are the worse especially on a hot day. I have found you can get around it with really quick shifts, even "preloading" your shifter ready to shift, nip the clutch in and out really quickly as you shift and it goes in much smoother. Hope this help a bit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
"Renown"; now that is the most polite phrasing I've heard yet to describe the K-Bike clutch. You must be some kind of dispute resolution professional? %^D

I've been on an '08 K S for 8 years now, have had the clutch issue and helped a few others with it and have a few posts here on the topic. To the best of my knowledge, The transverse K engine is actually the 1st time Beemer has done a multi-plate clutch. All their own designs have been single plate "Car" arrangements with the smaller multi-plate engines being Rotax designs. That observed, it's no wonder they had a learning curve to deal with and to make matters worse, they had to build a huge one to handle the load from the new 1200 cc motor.

The result is a big sticky monster that eats transmissions, rear-ends and itself. That clunk you're getting is the basket and hub slamming into it's stops because the springs in the back couldn't handle the beating and collapsed. It has been suggested that central to the issue is the very large area of the friction plates with too much adhesion to the steels, badly hindering disengagement. The Japanese overcome this by dimpling their friction plates to allow air to enter the gap and ease separation of the plates.

Also oiling has been an issue and the factory has redesigned the oil passages a few times. Clutch plate lubrication is a balance with both over and under oiling possible and likely. The early transverse Ks were under oiled and often show bad scoring on the inside of the basket. When over oiled, the excess acts like glue and further interferes with plate separation.

There hasn't really been a complete solution because:

1) There isn't a robust enough aftermarket industry for Beemers or any other brands but H-D and maybe Ducati.

2) They terminated production.

The best fix is a Barnette Clutch Pack and you can rework the center to allow a little more oil to the plates thru from the back and re-locate and add drain holes to evacuate the basket. It has to be said that the Transvers K-40 never got a decent clutch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Howdy Mots,

I'm from Auburn, WA. I did a Barnette clutch when I first bought my '08 K 1200S if for no other reason then I am old school H-D for the past 50 years and we all ran Barnetts in our chopped Knuckleheads. You'll find the Barnett package is an improvement but not a solution and Hell, it's cheap. I do my own work so it was just the cost of the pack itself ($100+).

You mentioned Final Drives as a problem and I had heard stories when I first got into Beemers. I approached the issue as I would have the chain and sprocket on H-Ds. Having damn near died over bad chain maintenance when I was a kid, I learned to keep everything back there new and lubed. Its the biggest wear point on the vehicle and needs regular attention. People can hear and feel dry or worn chains/sprockets but I've noticed Beemer riders tend to neglect their final drives I think because the mechanism is out of sight, out of mind.

I have had these drives completely apart and can say that if I were going to design a similar assembly and had all the money in the world to do it, I couldn't do much to improve on it. The gears are high quality, nicely ground and the tapered roller bearings are the size you see in full sized automobiles.

Every winter I drain and refill the rear-end with fresh synthetic 75w-90 (I like Castrol SAF-XO). I also keep my drive shaft splines well greased with Non-Metallic Moly Paste. I have not had any drive train problems in the 8 years I've been on this hummer. Maintenance is everything and we've got all winter to do it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts