BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?p...urceId=3600804&articleCategory=NEWS_NEW-BIKES

Click on the link, then click on the picture to enlarge. Now, what do you all think? And, that color is completely different, I think, than the three we saw previously.

At last, the suspense is over, I tell 'ya. It's real, it's not photo-shopped, it's shown in action, two-up, it's from the right-side and shows the lower exhaust, it reveals the "flair" in the lower fairing. And how about that multi-faceted headlight!

O.K., let the analysis begin!

Miles

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
pic of gt

I would like to see it with two 200 lb riders not two 110 lb riders. Looks huge I like the zzr1400 looks better, wonder what the price diff will be.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Maybe it will look better on the showroom floor.Looks big and bulky,almost LT like.It sure doesn't look as stunning as the KS.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'll be; MCN puts this picture/info up and then immediately shuts the site down for maintenance. Maybe it will be up in the morning.

But, all is not lost if you are looking for the very same picture. Podman has a thumbnail you can click on and enlarge on the thread entitled: "See the Full Manufacturers Pictures on Tuesday". Right now it's just below this one.

Thanks,

Miles

·
Registered
504 Posts
The site is up now.

I like it but would like to see a few more shots. I wonder if the bike looks as wide from the rear (with the bags removed) as the current model?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Will have to wait until there are more pics (of the instruments for example) from the official launch... But I still like what I see...

·
Registered
377 Posts
New GT

Notice that someone suddenly had a flash of common sense and lowered that way-oversized muffler to allow two full-sized system cases! God knows what kind of other improvements we can expect to see in the actual bike when it gets here. With my desire for improved creature comfort on long trips, I believe I'm going to drift toward getting me one of these in the months to come.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The lower muffler makes sense depending on the leaning / ground clearance compromise. The lack of detail or styling on the fairing while it may be only advanced prototyping gives a bulky impression at first glance. But panic not -- for tomorrow all will be revealed!!

Cheers
Lenz

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am very glade that i purchased my 04 GT. This bike is way to covered for me. The fairing is to plastic looking, Hope it looks better on the dealer floor

·
Registered
128 Posts
'06 GT rulez!

What I Like :-

- Front faceted lens
- Integrated turn signals
- Decent Luggage capacity (Topcase look a nice size)
- Windshield (shown here in "up" position - lowered will look quite sporty I hope)

Not :-

- Low exhaust (underseat would have been better ;) )

·
Registered
768 Posts
First thoughts

My initial thoughts are:

Someone commented on the 110lb riders, I agree with that sentiment, which makes the riding position very strange looking. Assume all the ergos can be changed, but look at the height of the pegs, the angle of their short legs and the RT scooter handlebars. Looks like the S position at the back and the RT at the front.

The styling is super boring and not at all elegant as the OLD GT/RS. All those lines on the tupperware make it look unfinished and very FJR like.

Agree with the comments on the exhaust below, should have been underseat or something innovative. Reminds me of my 1985 K100RT, or a Concours from the footpegs back.

Unless something really grabs me when I see it in the flesh, the S is a much better looking bet in the new line, or I keep my RS for a while longer.

Now the S is a SPORT-tourer. The GTRS was a Sport-Tourer, and this is a TOURER. Maybe it will be successful in that category alone, don't see anything Sport about it compared to the S.

My 2c

·
Registered
20 Posts
Scooter!?

My first reaction was that it looks like a scooter (the white color one) ;o).

Somehow the "old" GT/RS have more beauty. Technically it will have advanced over the old one, but the look. It may take sometime to accept it if not turn head to FJR.

I'd hope only bigger waterproof side bags to S and it would be my next bike. 2 x 30-35L would be more than wellcome. This GT version I have to take a rain check.

·
Registered
176 Posts
After looking at the pictures it seems to me that BMW is competing against itself with this model-- specifically, against the R1200RT. I don't see room in the marketplace for three BMW touring models--and make no mistake, this IS a touring model--what with the K12LT, the R12RT, and now the K12GT. I'm betting the pricing on the GT and the RT is close. Plusses for this model would be power, full size bags on both sides, and power. The Hossack front end is a push, no better than the telelever but more complex. Minuses for this model would be looks (it sure looks like a boxed-off Kawasaki Concours of any vintage) and the complexity of the canbus electrical system that makes it difficult to add electrical farkles. Big unknowns are the degree of refinement this bike will have (the K12S, for example, is a great sporting machine but lacks a refined feeling when compared to a K12RS/GT) and ergos. All in all, I'm glad I have my GT and will be keeping it for a good many more years.

The real excitement from BMW this year is in the 800 series. 80hp, 440lbs, belt drive and good looks. I'm tempted already.....

Best,

GTRider

·
Registered
180 Posts
GTRider said:
After looking at the pictures it seems to me that BMW is competing against itself with this model-- specifically, against the R1200RT.
Best,

GTRider
I must disagree, the RT and GT WILL NOT compete with each other. BMW have simply offered their customers a choice of 2 cyls (lumpy on acceleration - IMHO) or 4cyls (smooth power) and the ability loose the hard cases and have some fun in the twisties to use some of the power and torque from the new engine.

I currently have a K1200RS and tour mostly two up and have been looking to replace it and although I did consider the new RT and was impressed by the greater refinement of the new flat twin engine I really was not tempted once I rode the K12 home and used the smoothness and real power of the "brick" engine.

I guess I'm a 4cyl man at heart and I bet there are a lot more peolpe like me out there who currently buy FJR's and Pan's who will now consider the GT?

I for one can't wait to try the new GT and will probably purchase one as soon as they become available in the UK.

·
Registered
504 Posts
GTRider said:
The real excitement from BMW this year is in the 800 series. 80hp, 440lbs, belt drive and good looks. I'm tempted already.....

Best,

GTRider
I agree the 800 series looks *very* interesting. Very capable in the Sport Touring dept. without the weight.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I currently have an 04RT and K12S(which replaced a K/RS). For me the new GT has a good chance of being a member of the family to replace the RT. I got the RT for 2-up and bought it over the K/GT because of the protection and more relaxed riding position and better passenger comforts. The RT is a nice looking bike but top heavy, slower and with less torque than I would like. These have been traits to live with but putting oil in it all the time and the linked brakes have been a nuisance. So, for me, the new GT with the similar styling characteristics but lighter, more power/torque, better brakes, etc. and a similar riding position make the bike far more desirable than the old RT and fits my needs better than the old GT.

Seems to me that BMW is a little smarter this time because there was really no difference in the K/RS to the K/GT. And, there was no middle ground for a 4 cylinder...either the RS/GT or an LT...what a choice! Now, with respect to the new K bike (excluding the R) you have three styles of bikes from which to choose, S, GT, LT.

I'd bet that there will be a better market for the K/GT and its styling than there is the R/RT with all it's warts.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Why?

I don't get it....it had a great, sexy style.....now it's looking Jap.....wish they had just put the new motor/drivetrain/exhaust on the 04 frame/fairing and named a new model for this setup.....glad I got the '04.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts