BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Do you adhere to the Owner's Manual recommended service intervals?

• I get my bike in for service EXACTLY as defined in the manual

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • I attempt to make it in for scheduled service but sometimes I go over on mileage or skip services

Votes: 25 18.7%
  • I do my own work and follow the manual's guidelines

Votes: 40 29.9%
  • I do my own work and use common sense and/or previously gained knowledge

Votes: 22 16.4%
  • Manual? Service Intervals?

Votes: 3 2.2%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '02 K12RS with 19K miles is about due for her annual service. I just had the 'major' 18K service done this last summer. This particular service is the 2nd year, annual as defined in the owner's manual:

-Brake Fluid Change (Wheel and Control Circuit)
-Clutch Fluid Change
-Coolant Change

I am the original owner and have religiously stuck to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. For the first time now I am considering skipping this annual service. I don't get to put LOTS of miles on the bike each year due to a rigorous work schedule (maybe 4-5K) and wonder just how big a deal it is to stick to the letter of the manufacturer's (expensive) schedule?

My local (Idaho) dealer wants $165 for this job. Besides your thoughts on the importance of getting this work done annually/bi-annually I'm also curious as to what others across the country are paying.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Annual Service

Sounds like a bargain. I paid $300 in VA for a 12K (w/o brake service & coolant change).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The 12K is a completely different service and includes considerably more than the just the annual brake, clutch and coolant changing I have outlined. The two are apples and oranges. Check in your owners manual.

BTW...I think you got the bargain. My 12K was $500+ almost two years ago.

·
Registered
351 Posts
12K service in Milwaukee, WI

oneydee said:
The 12K is a completely different service and includes considerably more than the just the annual brake, clutch and coolant changing I have outlined. The two are apples and oranges. Check in your owners manual.

BTW...I think you got the bargain. My 12K was $500+ almost two years ago.
OK, found the receipt for 12k service (odometer at 11,342miles) paid $461.44
Here's the rest of the story....
Maybe my dealer cut me a little slack because I throw money for my mistakes. I dropped my bike at a gas station and scratched the right side panel and bought a new one. I still have the old one. I tried touch up paint but it's not close enough a match so I bit the bullet and bought new side panel and nose (no other damage). Leg of 300+mi. trip to northern WI and Upper MI.
Yet again....
Dropped it in the heated garage (I was going to move it in the morning but thought I'd save myself the time of having to move the bike to get my beemer out for work). Stupid tired mistake, slick soled shoes on concrete floor covered in talc like dust from all the vehicles in the garage). Needless to say I got myself in an awkward position walking it backwarks to put it behind my beemer and damn if I didn't F*ck the pooch manuevering a sharp right hand turn in reverse and the thing was leaning just a bit too far to the right and being that I was on the left could not prevent gravity from sucking that 650+lb baby-blue bad boy down. DAMN! snapped the brake lever in half, bent the right peg and scratched another panel. Bought replacements.
So now I have 2 scratched panels and a nose. F*ck it! Dumped more money into it for some piaa's, dual fiaam horns, autoswitch, upper hand guards, LED Brake! Light, Nav II Plus, auxillary power socket, power socket in brace behind spedo and steel braided brake & clutch lines. I'll be adding smoked sport screen and thinking about getting rims chromed, possibly going to get RB Racing upgraded injectors, exhaust and maybe RAM air snorkel (don't like the asymetrical look, would prefer centered under kydney openings as oblong oval between the piaa's). Hell, it's only money

·
Registered
66 Posts
maintance

OK This is what I do every year in jan. I change brake and clutch fluid, every two years I change the trany & rear drive oil I chang my oil at 3000 miles, the air and fuel filters and check my valve clearance on the third year I find that the brake pads go about 35k and not much more, and I drain and service the coolant when I'm in that system. The wear strip at 40k Ive got 67k on my 98 and had no prodlems with program lots of luck Cody

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maintenance

Hi guys:

I've had my K1200RS for only a year or so, so it has had only one "annual" service. I took it in to **** Vallantine in Seattle (http://www.vmwmotorcycles.com/). This guy does service mainly on BMWs. He even services the cop bikes. Very reasonable fees.

Anyway, I let him do an "annual" on the K-bike last fall. Since the bike is a '98 with about 40,000 miles on it, and it had a couple months left on an extended warranty, I asked him to check over just about everything.

I should state here that up till then I had always had all dealer service done at Ride West BMW in Seattle, but, because their service dood told me that they would not just poke around for things that "might" go wrong, they would fix stuff that I told them to, I figured that I needed to take this bike elsewhere.

We discussed it and agreed that he probably didn't need to check the valves, as that had been done the previous year by Ride West BMW. OK. He changed out the brake and clutch fluids, and changed the tranny and final drive lubes during the course of checking things out. I was outta there for about a hunnert fifty bux.

I've had a wonderful R1150GS since August 2000. Last summer, while on the Nez Perce Rally, I finally decided on the perfect name for that bike. It was just after making it over the pass at Elk Summit, that I decided she deserved the name, "Good Motorcycle." Since new on this bike I have changed engine oil every 3,000 mi, adjusted valves every 6,000, and changed air filter, spark plugs, tranny and final drive lubes every 12,000. I have changed the alternator belt once, at around 42,000 miles. Yeah, those are supposed to be changed at 36K, I know. Now I know. I have always taken the GS into Ride West for "annual" service, which I have always thought of as a sort of Quality Assurance measure. This "annual" consisted mainly of changing clutch and brake fluids, synching the throttle bodies, and checking for faults on the "Moby Dick." In '05 I got new throttle cables. Prices keep going up. It's getting over two hunnert bux for the basic job.

Last week I took the GS over to see **** for the annual service. I asked him how much money I needed to bring when I came to pick up the bike after the brake/clutch/throttle sync/Moby "annual" and he said a hunnert bux would do it. I asked him if he needed to pull the gas tank for anything, and he said no, not unless I wanted him to change out the alternator belt and the fuel filter. Hmm. The bike needs a new fuel filter, and a new belt would not hurt a bit, considering where I'll be with that bike next summer... "How much?", I ask. He told me an extra hunnert fifty. I was out of there for $240. COOL!

I am looking forward to the next regular oil change on either the K or the GS, as I now have a new Handy Lift in my garage!! I actually enjoy doing the standard, easy stuff, but I take the machine in to **** for what I view as more complicated stuff.

Seeya
ATB

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
service

Just paid $718 and I did the oil/filter and plugs. Contacted the fatherland, they had BMW in OZ contact me. Still paid the dough though. I have a detailed list of their service, most of it is sheer bullshit. Will fax you a copy if you like.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Papilio...scan it and post here. I'd be interested to learn just what you paid so much dough for. Freakin' highway robbery!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just got my annual done..

I just got my annual done a month or two ago. I remember paying over 300. That was combined 12k and annual without any fluid changes or the plugs. I do all that myself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
12K and Annual Service Costs

Just had the 12K and annual service done on my '03 GT - came to about $750 (this included the brake and clutch system flushes).

The 12K service alone (parts & labor) was $555.

The brake and clutch flush was $196.

At the same time, the pivot bearings had to be replaced in the final drive, along with reshimming the final drive - to the tune of $400 (not covered by the warranty). After a few months (and a letter to BMW customer service), BMW coughed up the $400 to cover the final drive work.

Isn't amazing how there's about a 2X variation in service costs, depending on the dealer? Seems BMW has a little work to do to standardize services costs....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was going to write this long explanation on why you should do it, but bottom line for $165 I would do it if not every year than every two years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
annual service

If I'm not mistaken, just the brake flush for an annual will add approx 2.8 hrs of labor to your bill alone. Bleeding the clutch brings it to about 3.5 on top of the regualr service. With parts, fluids, etc., $550 - 600 seems inline...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just had my annual done for $411, that included a 20% labor discount they were running. Will start doing this myself, don't seem like rocket science, or is it, since the K is a rocket!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Paughco said:
I've had my K1200RS for only a year or so, so it has had only one "annual" service. I took it in to **** Vallantine in Seattle (http://www.vmwmotorcycles.com/). This guy does service mainly on BMWs. He even services the cop bikes. Very reasonable fees.

(etc...)
I'm wishing I read this before I took my K in to Ride West for its 24,000 (plus annual):

Level 2 service: $420
Extra for fuel filter change (labor): $84
Parts for level 2 & FF: ~$250 (how about 9.50 a quart for oil? $10 ea for spark plugs? $15 a quart for gear/final drive fluid - and do they really need 2 quarts?)

Annual - integral ABS full-circuit flush & fill: $295
Clutch flush: $42
Coolant flush: $67

Grand total is $907 labor and $243 parts - OUCH!

Next time I'm trying ****...

·
Registered
437 Posts
couldnt cough it up

i was just quoted $750+ at daytona and orlando dealers for 24k service on my '04 kgt. wtf!!!!!!!!! i've only changed oil and filter myself, and wasnt looking forward to wrenching a bmw. but i bit the bullet. went to the dealer today, got oil filter, air cleaner, plugs, and fuel filter. $110.00 total. so far, i've changed out fuel filter, and air cleaner. fuel filter is i bitch, big plastic ring holds the fuel pump on and the fuel filter is up above the fuel pump in the gas tank. this weekend i'll do engine oil, filter, and i guess check valves. the covers dont look like they have ever had a wrench on them, which is kind of scary, since i paid for full service at 6k and 12k.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Actually, the transmission and final drive can be changed with one qt. Bleeding the brake and clutch lines takes less than 15 minutes with special tools. The actual cost of proffessional service by a dealer depends alot on how much money they think you have in your wallet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I do my service for the cost of parts. I usually order everything I can online and get it delivered with free shipping and no sales tax if possible. I dont use BMW fluids like BMW suggests either. I use what ever fluids are best quality for best price. BelRay, Valvoline, Castrol GPS, all very good fluids to use.

·
Registered
242 Posts
$568

24K service at Foothills in Denver, for plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, transmission fluid, and they listened to the valves and said they were fine. Then paid $175 to another mechanic at Bavarian to set the valves and recheck the Foothills work, he found a tight valve and fixed it, and tightened the exhaust that I tipped the Foothills mechanic to do which he apparently didn't do. After Foothills my magnesium crankcase cover was covered in gasket sealer, which won't come off, and my fairing has paint bubbled off it from some fluid in the same area, and one of my plastic hold downs on the inside of the fairing for the little black fan vent was broken. This was after Foothills agreed to take a second look at my bike because they admitted they didn't get to all the stuff the first time. Changing clutch fluid and brake fluid is extra.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Service...

I have to agree with JCD... Here in VA I paid 3-hondo for the annual and had to take my front tire elsewhere because I didn't buy it at the dealer! But, the last few times it has run me nearly 3-hondo just for rubber swaps... The 12K/mi service was just under 4-hondo... After the requisite once over I needed new pads a new rear meat all said and done the 12K/mi cost me $750. The tire thing is what gets me the most tho... We can't put a brand we carry on because you got it for half what we sell it for. And aside from having to run across town to get CycleGear to put it on the rim for $30 I ended up saving $40 in labor alone. Never mind that the tire through the dealer is nearly $100 dollars more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.