BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. Ride my 85 k100 daily for the last 7 years I've owned it. Love the thing. Riding in one of our once yearly light showers here in socal. Stopped for a few minutes. Turned key. Lights came on for a second (iirc) then pop, nothing. No dash lights other than the clock. No neutral light, no click, no fuel pump. Tried clutching, neutral, in gear ... I used that great troubleshooting guide which says the only thing that would kill everything is the gear indicator switch or board in the speedo. Since my speedo lens was cracked assumed water may have gotten in so I replaced the whole cluster. Nothing. Replaced the gear position indicator switch in the back of the trans ...... and nothing.

Checked all the wires and connections and nothing seemed amiss. I checked all the fuses i could find depicted in the Haynes manual. Any ideas where to go now? Is there a master fuse on the thing? Thanks in advance . . . all the info keeps these things going.

·
Registered
380 Posts
read your story, my gut and memory sez its the ignition switch, which needs to come apart and be cleaned, occasionally. search IBMWR files for some info. hope this helps

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
The only thing the gear indicator does with respect to running is supply power to the start button when in N. You can completely remove the cluster from a K bike and it will still run. You'd just need to pull in the clutch when starting.

If all of the lighting has gone out then it might be that your load shed relay has gone bad,

As noted above, the ig switch is also a suspect.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
That happened to me way back then. And of course somewhere well away from a dealer. In my case that was the relay. You should hear it click when you turn the ignition on if not switch with the horn relay.Didn't talke me long to figure that one out but had to ride from QC through Montreal and all the way to Chicago before I could get to a dealer and get a new relay. And I sure could have used my horn in between.... :(

The early relays were defective, you may still have the OEM in there. If I remember correctly the OEM will have a metal cover and the replacement at the time had a plastic cover that seals much better.

I still have my "spare" that I bought way back then. And picked up a few more recently walking around the local "Pick & pull" auto wrecker. Under the hood of some oldish (90's) BMW car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thanks for the info. I was under the impression the gear position switch would shut the whole thing down. And with the rain and the broken instrument pod somewhat open to the elements it was the likely culprit. I'll check those the switch and relay and cross my fingers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts