BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be very few differences between the 2005 K1200S and the 2006 version.

The following changes seem to be common knowledge:
- Turn signal switches modified.
- Hazard lights button deleted.
- On board computer option added.

In addition to the prior noted, has anyone else but me noticed that the 2005 model K12S has insulation installed in the inside of the fairings but on the 2006 models it is no longer included. Just flat plastic on the inside. I wonder why BMW chose to stop insulating the fairing? What was the reason for it in the first place if they don't feel a need to include it now?

·
Registered
434 Posts
mark5lam said:
What was the reason for it in the first place if they don't feel a need to include it now?
I think BMW intended to avoid vibrations of the fairing. Reasons for the change might be cost reduction or a different material of the fairing that is more reistant to vibrations.

Manfred

·
Registered
26 Posts
mark5lam said:
There seem to be very few differences between the 2005 K1200S and the 2006 version.

The following changes seem to be common knowledge:
- Turn signal switches modified.
- Hazard lights button deleted.
- On board computer option added.

In addition to the prior noted, has anyone else but me noticed that the 2005 model K12S has insulation installed in the inside of the fairings but on the 2006 models it is no longer included. Just flat plastic on the inside. I wonder why BMW chose to stop insulating the fairing? What was the reason for it in the first place if they don't feel a need to include it now?

I have an 06 and it HAS the fairing insulation....................?

·
Registered
120 Posts
fairing insulation

Last time I had the fairing panels off my '05 I noticed howheavy the insulation was. Anyone tried pulling it off yet?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CDPerry said:
I have an 06 and it HAS the fairing insulation....................?
Hummm? I looked at two 05's and four 06's last week. The 05's has the insulation and the 06's did not.

IRT an earlier reply, the 06 bikes I looked still had the mounting points molded inside the fairing for the insulation which leads me to believe it's the same plastic fairing in the 06 as the 05.

Something seems amiss....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry, I just got back from a long lunch....

Briefly, how were the turn signal switches modified?

Is the slow speed wander fully corrected?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Danobird said:
They simply changed the color of the switches from orange to gray and labeled them with the triangle hazard symbol. They are also now the only means of activating the hazard indicator (by pressing both turn signals at the same time).

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you purchase a new side piece from BMW it comes painted but with no insulation.

Maybe something got scratched?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The '06 K12S has the spigot for adding water moved forward a few inches so that you have to take off the left fairing side to add water whereas on the '05 model it is out in the open.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wyeknott said:
The '06 K12S has the spigot for adding water moved forward a few inches so that you have to take off the left fairing side to add water whereas on the '05 model it is out in the open.
I never noticed that. Now I have to go out and take a look. Good catch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Danobird said:

How anyone could go slow on this bike is beyond me.
If you have a slow speed wander - twist that thing on the right handlebar - it will go away.

On a serious note, has the ECU been rewritten, new version of the software?

·
Registered
910 Posts
DOA said:

On a serious note, has the ECU been rewritten, new version of the software?
At the dealer last week and he says it works this way. And this sounds almost too easy.

As an example my early '05 has something like version 3.0.

So, what happens supposedly, is that when you bring the bike in for service (or new tires or whatever) the bike is (can be) hooked up to the dealer's computer; it reads the version that's in the bike and, if it needs it, the computer will "automatically" update the K-S to the latests version - presumably version 5.1?

Almost seems like magic. It almost sounds like it's too good to be true. My systems analyst wife calls this "flash memory" and figures all this is true.

Anyone know for sure?

In the past, I always had this notion that you had to tear the bike apart to remove stuff like this and insert new software. But, then, I stll scratch my head about canbus and the fueseless feature of this system.

Miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
On Board Computer

What's the deal with the 'On Board Computer'? Is this really a new feature for the 06, and if so, what's its function/purpose?

·
Registered
2 Posts
On Board Computer

Whats the deal with this (on Board Computer). How is this different than the set-up on the 05? Does anyone know what its functions are, how its accessed, etc.? Any links to how its presents itself on the bike?

Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cjsaxton said:
Whats the deal with this (on Board Computer). How is this different than the set-up on the 05? Does anyone know what its functions are, how its accessed, etc.? Any links to how its presents itself on the bike?
Thanks.
The 05's display shows fuel gage, engine temp, shift indicator, clock, odo and two trip meters and ESA info if applicable.

The 06 display is:
- Slightly modified liquid crystal display is a little easier to read in the sunlight.
- Displays: fuel gage, engine temp, shift indicator, clock, odo and ESA info if applicable.

- The BC button takes the place of the "Trip" button on the left hand grip. In addition to the above, the BC provides:
- Range left on a tank of gas (caculated and updated depending driving conditions).
- Average MPG (caculated and updated depending on driving conditions)
- Oil life
- Outside air temp
- Average speed (caculated)

I think that all if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Ken,

You get the update automatically if they put your bike on the computer to check for when the valve adjustment is due during a service interval, unless you ask for the update.

As soon as the weather breaks, I'm taking mine down there for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Slow speed wander

Danobird said:

No slow speed wander on my 06, but it is a little hard to turn the bars when stationary parking, etc. Love the bike!!!--particularly since installing the bar risers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts