BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lieu
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through many of the posted threads on the pros and cons of using an aftermarket exhaust on the K12GT. :deadhorse

My question relates to the issue of weight reduction and whether this improves either fuel use efficiency (measurably) or the feeling/maneuverability of the bike (not sure how objective you can be with this issue)?

Is there really a reason to lighten the weight of the exhaust system if it doesn't provide some improvement other than individual preference relating to looks or sound?

This is not meant as a stir-the-pot post. I am just wondering if there is an objective reason to shell out the $$$ on an exhaust change other than for aesthetic or audible preferences?

·
Capn' Blowhard
333 Posts
I'll bite! :)

I swapped the stock can out for a carbon Remus about 10 months ago. At the time, I was trying anything to make the high idle, bucking bronco thing go away (this is before I/we understood it was the airbox and not air/fuel).

Anyhow, the weight savings was pretty big - I think it was about 8 lbs lighter! Which of course on a bike is a good amount. That said, I noticed no improvement in MPG or handling. Sounded nice though!

I also swapped out the filter for the fancy pants billet piece and oiled filter at the same time.

I had a nasty backfire POP! on decel that I could not get rid of - no exhaust leaks anywhere and only happened when letting revs fall down past 3K. I just learned to live with it but had plenty of friends jump when they were "shot at". ;)

In the end, I swapped back to stock a month ago before taking my bike in for the airbox service...I didn't want any BS about the mods causing anything so I just eliminated that from happening altogether. When I went back to stock, I have to admit I liked it...enough to leave it. It's quieter (which on the GT is good for me- the Duc can be as loud as she wants but touring quietly is nice).

What's more - my MPG went up going back to stock..from a several month average of 42.1 mpg to 43.5 after just a week or so.

So I have a Remus can gathering dust in the spare closet along with the little intake. Some folks love the swap, and I thought I did...until I went back to stock. :)

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
I bought a Two Brothers and it's LOUD!!! I rode it about 60 miles and took it off. In those 60 miles, I noticed no change in handling, nor did I notice the weight loss. I did enjoy getting back the "stealth" mode of the bike. Kinda like going from burlap to silk.

The engine did seem to rev slightly quicker, but I really didn't notice much change running the goat snot out of it. It did annoy the deer, though, they really looked when I came by.

I had a Remus on my 2000LT, along with the chip and anything else I could do to up performance. I lived with the sound because of what the package did for the bike. When my wife quit riding with me, I no longer needed a big touring bike and the GT fits everything I need it to do, from thousand mile days to ripping corners.

The bottome line: I was better than the LT, the GT is better than me, so I really don't need to enhance it's performance..... yet.

·
Capn' Blowhard
333 Posts
I wonder if we can mock up some cans Akimbo 'tater launcher with your Two Bros and my Remus? :)

·
Lieu
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's pretty much what I figured. I enjoy a little rumble from a cruiser, but on my GT, I would just as soon keep it quiet. Especially if there is really no up-side to changing the exhaust. How cool is it when you can save money and not feel like you are losing out on improving the bike! :2beers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts