BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all you equipment geeks out there, here's my Garmin StreetPilot III mounting system. First I'll explain then you can view the picks if I can figure out how to post them. For my Ducati ST4s I purchased the Garmin StreetPilot III unit. Not wanting let the GPS go with my Duc I pulled the mounting system and wiring off and discovered that with a little grinding on the mounting plate I could easily install it on my KGT.

First I removed the two handle bar bolts. Then I had to grind away some of the GPS mounting plate material to clear the contours of the handle bar base area around the bolt openings. Then added an extra washer between the mounting plate and the original washer. Because of the extra stack up of the GPS mounting plate and extra washer the stop nuts at the ends of the handle bar bolts needed to be spaced out an equal distance (approximately 4 mm). I just happened to have two steel balls from an old universal carburetor kit that had just the right size. The stop nuts have a slight recess in the bottom so I just dropped a ball into each stop nut, applied some Locktite to the threads and tightened them up. There's sufficient thread remaining so as long as you don't overtighten they'll tighten up just fine. Now even with the GPS mounted, the original function of the handle bar mounting and adjustment system remains the same.

Now I just have to complete the wiring. I'll send a separate post for the wiring complete with pictures.

Please let me know what you think!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Very nice...good job! :thumb:

But you really need to start saving some pennies to upgrade from that SPIII. You don't know what you're missing. I have a 2610, and I'll be upgrading soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts