BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's tire time again on the KRS and need to know if anyone has mixed a Metzeler Z6 front and a Michelin Pilot Road rear. Was the handling affected? I would like to try the Metzeler brand and it's time for a front tire (6,700mi. on a Pilot Road to the wear bars).

·
Registered
826 Posts
I just put a Metzler on the front last week for my rainy Monterey trip and left the Maxxis Supermaxx on the rear. The new front felt great, because it was new. The rear and the bike didn't feel weird at all. When the rear wears down, I'll change it. Right now, I like the handling and I can't tell the tires are mixed. Just my two cents. When I worked at Bridgestone in racing, tires and compounds were mixed and matched to get the fastest laps. Riders, drivers, vehicles, power, weather, etc.... all add up when you're splitting hairs and racing. Street use is way down the critical mistake list. You won't be doing wrong if the sizing of the tire is OEM recommended.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I Posted Thread About Mixing Tires And Got A Responce From Razel..he Mentioned That He Thought That Tires Are Ment To, In A Way, From What I Understood That Tires Work Together To Clear The Water From The Road So To Give The Rear Traction But Said He Wasnt A Tire Expert But Did Say He Stayed At A Holiday Inn Makes Sense To Me

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Razel said:
That was a Holiday Express, and no, I didn't stay there. :teeth
Ray, I'm sorry, but when I read that your information came out after you stayed at a Holiday Express I just couldn't take a chance. So I got another Pilot Road and hope the pair wear out close to the same time and I will switch brands at that time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
brucecha said:
It's tire time again on the KRS and need to know if anyone has mixed a Metzeler Z6 front and a Michelin Pilot Road rear. Was the handling affected? I would like to try the Metzeler brand and it's time for a front tire (6,700mi. on a Pilot Road to the wear bars).
After I chopped a Pilot Road front at 6K on my GT, I put on a Z6 replacement. I rode that combination (Z6 front, Pilot Road rear) for the next 8k miles with no noticable change in handling. I noticed a much larger change when I replaced the rear Pilot Road with a Z6 at 14K. Handling was definitely quicker and more predictable. I am getting about 10K on the Z6 front/rear combination with good results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts