BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a "DWA!" alarm light when turning on my ignition on my "06 K12R. It went off with the other start up "check" lights and the bike ran fine. I did some research and found that the batteries in the anti-theft alarm system may be dying. I located the alarm module under the seat, removed the cover, placed new batteries and buttoned everything up. Now the alarm won't work and the red led flashes continuously on the panel. The bike still starts and runs fine (with the red light flashing). I looked in the supplementary "Anti-theft alarm system DWA 6" manual and tried different things like "Initiating programming" and "Initiating registration..Registering Remote Control Unit" with no luck. I'm assuming that since the batteries were removed that some how or another, I have to re-synch my remote control "fob" units with the system. Anybody have any ideas? Oh, by the way, the "DWA!" light is now out.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, relatedly to this issue, I've tried a couple of suggested "fixes" to this problem without any luck. I was going to take the bike into the dealership for diagnostic. Here's my question now. THe closest dealership is about 50 miles away...so I'd have to hassle with getting the bike there..a ride home..a ride back for pick-up, etc. AND I'm not sure what the cost would be just having the bike looked at. I found where I can get a new alarm unit for about $250. It's supposedly a "plug n play" install. I haven't been to the dealership for many, many years. Am I probably looking to pay close to that amount for them to look at the bike anyway? and then if THEY have to order the new part $$$. I'm thinking that if their bill comes to $150 or more...I'm better off purchasing the new unit and installing myself (the hassle of my time and a couple of days wasted is worth at least 100 bucks). Basically, what I'm asking is what is an average hourly rate for service?

· Registered
100 Posts
There is no mentioning of wether the connector cable to the alarm was disconnected while the battery was changed. According to the rep rom there is no need for it.

Perhaps a complete disconnect, including the backup batteries, will help.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did multiple combinations when trying different things. The first time I didn't disconnect the alarm module from the "connector cable" when changing the back-up batteries. I tried disconnecting the bikes main battery (overnight), re-changed the alarm module batteries, and then DID disconnect the connector cable and removed the alarm module. I did every combination I could think of with the same result...No chirp, light flashing, etc. when pressing the key fob AND the red LED light blinking on the gauge panel. The bike still runs fine.

· Registered
31 Posts
Fob Alarm not working? Greeting, Happy Holidays, looks like old Thread? I recently changed BAT CR2032 on fab, started bike, no problem ,do see DWA BAT LOW (middle) seen this in display for a while. Turned off bike, can't set alarm, fob is working see RED light. Ran MotoScan see in "Anti-Theft Alarm System incl. RDC(DWA RDC), selected Trouble codes, see 9D77, pics below, any suggestion on how to fix this? tried to clear alarm, did not work, disconnected batt, re connected same, no change.

Attachments

· Premium Member
716 Posts
The reprom dvd says that if a new electrical item is in stalled the BMW diagnostic system should be used to register the device with the canbus system. Perhaps by disconnecting the connector cable the bike thinks you are installing a new device. Not sure if a gs911 can do this but it does have anti theft alarm functionality. I don’t have one fitted to my bike so can’t help any further

· Registered
330 Posts
Another possibility, you may have to re-register the keyfob. I know I did this once, it required a set of programming steps that involved the red alarm light on the dash.

Well, what do you know, I went searching for it, and found an old post with the instructions, that I posted in 2021.

Might be worth a shot.

· Registered
31 Posts
You mentioned "Well, what do you know, I went searching for it, and found an old post with the instructions, that I posted in 2021". i am looking but having a tough time finding? any chance you can pls re-post info. Thank you.

· Registered
31 Posts
Just to be brief; I can't ARM my BMW K1200S Alarm. I changed the Fob Batt CR 2032, it works fine. I do see in display AWS BATT is Half. i am getting 2 CR123A BATT tomorrow, will replace. Bike starts, but can't ARM Alarm. Checked MotoScan app, do see Error 9D77 in DWA immobilizer error codes section. I was able to clear, but soon as i ARM, error comes back. Checked Error , "The remote control has lost synchronisation with the control unit". I do not have Manual, If you have instructions can you please post instructions, probably same for me. Thank You!

"Synchronizing the remote control unit". RED LED is not flashing. Was working a week ago, RED LED flashed, not sure what happened, "if you happen to have instructions, please kindly post. Thank you, much appreciated.

· Registered
31 Posts
Just to be brief; I can't ARM my BMW K1200S Alarm. I changed the Fob Batt CR 2032, it works fine. I do see in display AWS BATT is Half. i am getting 2 CR123A BATT tomorrow, will replace. Bike starts, but can't ARM Alarm. Checked MotoScan app, do see Error 9D77 in DWA immobilizer error codes section. I was able to clear, but soon as i ARM, error comes back. Checked Error , "The remote control has lost synchronisation with the control unit". I do not have Manual, If you have instructions can you please post instructions, probably same for me. Thank You!

"Synchronizing the remote control unit". RED LED is not flashing. Was working a week ago, RED LED flashed, not sure what happened, "if you happen to have instructions, please kindly post. Thank you, much appreciated.
I found it on net, Thank you.

Attachments

· Registered
31 Posts
Its all good, Thank you all. Got it to work. No Errors in Motoscan app, Error 9D77 cleared. Nothing left to do. Now we wait for spring. Should be on the bike by late April. Thx Again.
Synchronising - BMW K1300R Rider's Manual [Page 69] (worked for K1200S)
Synchronising remote
control
Press and hold down button 1
and button 2.
LED flashes for ten seconds.
As soon as the LED goes out,
release button 1 and button 2.
LED lights up.
Press button 1 or button 2.
LED goes out.
Remote control has been syn-
chronised

· Registered
11 Posts
I replaced the batteries recently on the device under the seat and the warning on the dashboard didn't appear next time i powered up the bike.
I also replaced the battery on the remote as it was not always activating the alarm and it is working fine now.
Thank you for the link for synchronizing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts