BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 w/ an early build date of 09/2003, that I purchased in April of 2005 (one of the last gray/green leftovers w/ full options, for 0.9% + 5 payments made by BMWFS) With the December ECU replacement cut-off date looming my question is this: Are there any other '04 KGT owners who's bikes don't exhibit obvious cold-start issues w/ the original ECU? I'm wondering how the obvious problem ECUs surface... Is it something that was apparent from the start or did it show up after a certain number of miles, etc? My dealer's service manager says that if it doesn't stumble on cold start-up then my ECU is a good one and won't need replacement, period... Is this true? I'd like to hear how other owners of '04 KGT's decided that their ECU's are 1) BAD or 2) GOOD 2 GO and am wondering what the % of bad ones to good ones really is? Thanks in advance!

Steve J.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My '04 RS has a build date April '04 and has not exhibited any of the ECU symptoms. I did check with my local dealer to confirm mine was outside the suspected range.

I have 12000+ trouble free miles in temps as low 35 degrees.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts

I have an 05/04 GT with no problems at all in 13000 miles, I start it and pull out every time without a stumble.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2004 GT is of the 09/2003 batch. Since I bought it used with 11k miles I can't say if the problem was obvious from the 0k miles. It was quite obvious at 11k miles. I had the same symptoms many others described before: crank the throttle 1/4 turn right after a cold start and the engine would either stall, or the RPM would fall to a point where the bike would stall if you actually started riding the bike.
With lower grade gas I managed to stall the engine several times. Mind you this happed in So. Cal recently with the temperatures only in the mid 50s - lower 60s in the morning.
As for having the ECU replaced, it took me about 5 minutes with the service manager at Ventura BMW to set up an appointment, and since they had it in stock, I got it done in less than a week.
The difference is night and day!

Cheers,
Steve

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
My '04 KRS has a build date of May/'04, which is supposed to be outside of the bad ECU's.
Absolutly no problems at all in 8,900mi.
Bruce C.

·
Registered
186 Posts
motorradnik said:
I have an '04 w/ an early build date of 09/2003, that I purchased in April of 2005 (one of the last gray/green leftovers w/ full options, for 0.9% + 5 payments made by BMWFS) With the December ECU replacement cut-off date looming my question is this: Are there any other '04 KGT owners who's bikes don't exhibit obvious cold-start issues w/ the original ECU? I'm wondering how the obvious problem ECUs surface... Is it something that was apparent from the start or did it show up after a certain number of miles, etc? My dealer's service manager says that if it doesn't stumble on cold start-up then my ECU is a good one and won't need replacement, period... Is this true? I'd like to hear how other owners of '04 KGT's decided that their ECU's are 1) BAD or 2) GOOD 2 GO and am wondering what the % of bad ones to good ones really is? Thanks in advance!

Steve J.
Search the archives, I've started a thread regards to updated ECU's. My KRS don't show any signs of symptoms during cold starts. Does have a bit of irratic idle intermitantly, warm. Although it's only 700 miles new. My dealer is looking at possibly my control unit. I'm not mentioning any names right now. At least not till it's done. I do say, hearing from the horses mouth, better get it done before the end of Dec. 05.

BTW, how did you get .9% finance and 5 months on your new loan. For GT's they were suppose to get 3.9% and 3 months free payments.. good for you!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
No brainer today AND for resale purposes.

I guess my '04 GT had the ECU problem pretty bad. In cold days like today (40F) it would start but a twist of the throttle would definetly stutter or stall the engine. After the ECU it starts right up, I can give it throttle with no burps and more importantly the responsiveness improvement is night and day. Looking back with the old ECU, I feel I had about 80% of the performance I have today with the new ECU. I am riding in the 4k - 5k rom range most times.

This is a no brainer today AND for resale purposes because that would be one of the first questions I would ask if I were buying a '03/'04 GT.

Jeff
NJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Steve,

When I bought my '04 Gt last December, I decided ahead of time to have the ECU replaced before I even rode the bike. My thought was that it is better to have and not need, than to need and not have. After I rode my bike for about 100 miles, I took it back and told the dealer I was not happy with the performance and wanted the ECU replaced. I did have some minor hesitation which I probably would not have noticed if I had not read the bulletins, so it was a no brainer for me. I also put on a staintune exhaust at that time and have had no problems. I've got about 6500 miles on the bike.

If there is a protential problem with the ECU and you can get it replaced, I'd say get it done. You might need to approach the dealer with a strong conviction that you need it done, or they may give you some resistance.

Take care,

DJN

·
Registered
14 Posts
Steve,
my KRS was built 09/03. I had the ECU change done two months after I bought it in September 04. Prior to that I had noticed an iregular, high idle when the engine was hot and the engine died when I cracked the throttle after starting a cold engine.
The idle problem may have been false air due to pulled-off vacuum hoses (need to remove the left fairing to check and fix that.) Two of the four hoses were pulled off anfd the third one was loose.
The new ECU was like day and night - no more complaints since.

·
Registered
330 Posts
JKelly said:
I guess my '04 GT had the ECU problem pretty bad. In cold days like today (40F) it would start but a twist of the throttle would definetly stutter or stall the engine. After the ECU it starts right up, I can give it throttle with no burps and more importantly the responsiveness improvement is night and day. Looking back with the old ECU, I feel I had about 80% of the performance I have today with the new ECU. I am riding in the 4k - 5k rom range most times.

This is a no brainer today AND for resale purposes because that would be one of the first questions I would ask if I were buying a '03/'04 GT.

Jeff
NJ
My '04 did almost exactly as Mr. Kelly's (above). It was not until I found out through my own research, that my bike was one built due for the recall on the ECU (dealer or BMW never notified me). My startup before the replacement was the same, start then twist the throttle and it would sputter. Also, I think I am getting a much better throttle response after the switch out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 2004 KGT build date 9/03. Bought it new. I have just under 11,000 miles runs perfect. The ECU is either good or bad. They don't get bad. Of course any device can fail. But typically if the ECU is bad it is bad. Meaning that the bike does not run. The chances of a certain part of the ECU going bad is extremely unlikely. Most of these ECU problems were there from the get go. Why replace something that is not bad. And as far as BMW only changing them up to Dec. 2005. That is for people who have gone out of warranty. If you can show the dealer that your bike is not running correctly and the ECU is the problem they will change it. They might not want to but unless BMW can point out in the warranty that certain electrical parts are not covered than the bike is covered through warranty. And of course there is no such line item.
Bruce

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lucky88 said:
BTW, how did you get .9% finance and 5 months on your new loan. For GT's they were suppose to get 3.9% and 3 months free payments.. good for you!!
When I bought my KGT this past April, BMWFS had offered 0.9% for 48 or 60 mos and made the first 5 payments. Obviously, financing for 48 mos was the way to go since they would pay off a larger sum in the first 5 payments. (I bought the bike in April and mailed the first payment check in October) I got a sweet deal on the bike too, w/ some accessories thrown in.

So far I haven't experienced the cold-start stumbles on my K... (btw I have been keeping up w/ all of the threads on this subject starting on Vic's I-BMW site) ... I just wanted to get some opinions to help me decide if I needed to be concerned about my ECU 'going bad' on me after the replacement period was past. Thanks to all who've shared their experiences!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I purchsed my '04 KRS in March '05, it had the bad ECU symprtoms from day one. I told the dealer my bike had the bad ECU symptoms, he looked it up in the computer and showed me the build date was a few weeks after the official bad date (around June '04, I don't remember) but after they reviewed the symptoms thenselves they agreed to change the ECU under warranty. Now it runs ok before getting to normal operating temperature.

Ron

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine has the cold start problem but it also has a problem w' idle. When I start the bike it idles fine but when it warms up it idles between 1500 and 2000 rpm's. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm taking it to Bob's tomorrow to have it looked at.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
bigbenton said:
Mine has the cold start problem but it also has a problem w' idle. When I start the bike it idles fine but when it warms up it idles between 1500 and 2000 rpm's. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm taking it to Bob's tomorrow to have it looked at.
Taking delivery in Oct., my KRS starts cold very well. Never skipped a beat. Had a nice faster idle cold ( about 1200-1300 ). Idle would start decreasing as temperature is warming. (within 30-45 sec). Usually within a minute to minute and half, the idle would stabilize to about 1000. Always a perfect cold start.

Funny thing is I 'just' got the bike back from the first service (600 miles) the other day. Next morning I went to start the bike and I couldn't believe the bike ran worse than ever before. Its cold idle was about 600-700rpm and barely kept running. When fully warmed up, the idle was all over the map, fluctuating between 800-1000rpm. I have no idea what the dealer did to the bike, all I can say is it runs terrible. It was perfectly fine just before I brought the bike in for service. I did remember at time of dropping off the bike, my fuel light just came on. Wonder if the fuel they put is any good. Anyway they returned the bike to me with 1/4 tank. I will run this gas out and refill at my normal fueling station and give that a try.

My servicing dealer did mention to reschedule to look into the ECU campaign.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tim,

The most common problems with the bike having idle problems after servicing seems to be either a disconnnected/pinched vacuum hose OR a binding throttle cable (many times it is the cruise control one that is bound up).

Search both the new Tech Forum and old (Community Archives) and you will find many things to check.

Randy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts