BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a Scorpion helmet at a dealer today. Sure seemed to have a lot of features for $180! I was wondering if anyone out there has used/bought one and what they thought about it. I'm currently using an Arai Quantum/f that is nearing the 5 year mark.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have one. I also have a Schuberth S1 which I prefer to wear, but the Scorpion helmet is an excellent helmet and is probably one of the best around dollar for dollar.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Have had mine one month now.good ventilation, much quieter than my nolan flip but I do wear ear plugs, anti fog shield works,won't fog up. When you crack the shield open to get a little air it opens a little to much,I wish the first setting was a little tighter. Over all I am very pleased with the helmet. I did get the 700 model, kevlar and fiberglass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked at the Scorpion helmet today, am getting rid of my RF700 Shoei as it is starting to show it's age, the Scorpion looked and fit well[ the Z logo can be removed by pulling on it] but the color I wanted wasn't there.
I went to several bike shops looking around and I saw a lot of nice looking helmets in the $150--$300 range, I went back and got a Shoei RF1000, solid color, anthracite. The helmet has alot more wind noise then my old RF700, I think I can play with the foam padding a bit and remove some of the wind noise. Yes, I'm a little mad about the noise conserding the price. I like the fact that most local shops carry Shoei replacement parts in stock.

·
Registered
111 Posts
mconrad said:
I have one. I also have a Schuberth S1 which I prefer to wear, but the Scorpion helmet is an excellent helmet and is probably one of the best around dollar for dollar.
How is the wind noise of the Scorpion compared to the S1 or to any other helmet you may have used?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a Scorpion. Love it. Great value, not too noisy, good visibility,comfortable and it is nearly impossible to fog. Rated up there with helmets that cost twice as much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
bob5150 said:
I looked at a Scorpion helmet at a dealer today. Sure seemed to have a lot of features for $180! I was wondering if anyone out there has used/bought one and what they thought about it. I'm currently using an Arai Quantum/f that is nearing the 5 year mark.
As a reference, I'm a long time Arai wearer. I've been wearing the Scorpion EXO700 lately. I was impressed with the appearance as well as the look and feel of quality from the begining. It looks much more expensive than a $200 helmet.

It's very comfortable to wear. Snell/DOT rating. Nice features like removable liner for easy cleaning. To me it provides great value.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing G3 heated glove review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/gerbing/g3-gloves.htm
:

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Scorpion is noisier than the S1. It should be, because it only costs a third of what the S1 runs. I wear Challenger earphones that double as earplugs so I don't really notice the noise anyway. The one thing I noticed in the Scorpion compared to the Schuberth is the larger field of vision with the Schuberth. I lose some of my peripheral vision with the Scorpion, and also noticed that I have a more restricted field of vision downward. With the S1 I can see my radar detector without moving my head. Not so with the Scorpion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mconrad said:
I lose some of my peripheral vision with the Scorpion,
I've tested my Scorpion EXO 700 against my Arai Signet GT. They have similar, if not identical peripheral vision. About 180degrees.

Wind noise is also very similar, given the ventillation.

and also noticed that I have a more restricted field of vision downward. With the S1 I can see my radar detector without moving my head. Not so with the Scorpion.
This is odd. Again, the Scorpion EXO700 and Arai Signet GT have similar downward vision. It's surprising because the center part of the chin piece is on the Schubert S1 is higher. You would think decreased downward vision. But it does look like a nice helmet.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing G3 heated glove review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/gerbing/g3-gloves.htm
:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had an Exo 700 for about 6 or 7 months now. Other helmet is an Aria Signet GT, which is about 5 years old. The 700 is much quieter than the Arai on my head. I wear plugs too, but even with the difference is noticable. I like the fit and finish of the 700 very much and it has held up very well so far. Only nitpick is with the sheild...I second the opinion that the first opening is too far open, and I've found that the sheild actually gets large scratches more easily than my Arai did. HST, it doesn't get as many of the small scratches that diffuse light at night. Not sure what the reason for this might be. I've had two sheilds for the 700 and both exhibited this same behavior. Despite sheild issues, I'd definitely recommend this lid. John

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had my Scorpion EVO" 700 Helmet for about a 3 months. I managed to brake the head off the plastic bolt that holds the shield pivot in place. I called them last Thurdays morning to see if they could send me another bolt. I went to the mailbox this morning and there was mailer with several bolts and two complete pivots. I was impressed. I think the broker bolt was my fault.

Now for the helmet. I like it for the most part. What I like, it's relatively noise free. The fog free shield really works, ( I found that out the other night driving home in some of the heaviest fog I've ever been in). The vent system seems to be pretty good. What I don't like. The cheek pads are really tight. I wish they were adjustable. You can get a different liner which effectively changes the size of the Helmet. The problem is the helmet fits perfect from the ears on up. I suspect they do this to keep the helmet from moving on your head in case of an accident.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I also have the Scorpion and like it very much. My cheekpads took several months to loosen up a bit but are still snug. I realized part of the problem is the grin I usually have when I am on the K!(HA!). I'm glad your helmet fits tight. Rule is: get the tightest fit you can reasonably stand, it will loosen up some. So many folks will get the 'comfortable' size. Bad move. If the helmet slides at all when you tug it around, it is too big. You don't want that action in the event of a get-off. Cheers, and stay safe.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Love my Scorpion - exceptional features and quality for the price. Their customer service is great as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts